Phone/PDA+SatNav

johndere 14:18 28 Aug 2006

I'm going to replace my current phone with hopefully a pda and/or phone that comes with sat-nav with it. But which make & model do i go for, someone suggested to me the Nokia 6680? Oh and as cheap as possoble.

Dizzy Bob 16:02 28 Aug 2006

Whether you have a contract with the mobile phonw will make a massive difference to the price.

I use a T-Mobile MDA compact (which is a rebadged imate Jam) The phone was free on my contract, and is a windows based PDA/Phone, but slightly smaller than a standard PDA, and fits in my top pocket nicely.

I have added tomtom mobile to this (£200) which works like an absolute dream.

I could have had the co-pilot software much cheaper, but the ease of use, popularity of tomtom(and thus more add-ons available ie voices, speed cameras etc) made the tomtom the right option for me.

The phone has bluetooth but not wi-fi. I believe 'this years' model (MDA Vario) also has wi-fi which would be handy for VOIP calls.

There are quite a few smartphones on the market now, some running windows, some running a version of symbian (i think the Nokia's are symbian based)

I have also added a car charger for the phone (£6 on ebay) and a small holder for the dashboard (£10 Halfords)

If you are looking to buy the phone outright (PAYG or SIM Free) I think you will be looking in the region of £150-£200.

Good Luck,

DB

ANDY-212408 19:20 07 Sep 2006

Have just purchased a Mio A701 phone / gps / and PDA all in one unit. Superb - I cannot recommend it enough.
Quite expensive at £430 (inc GPS software) sim free but as i say well worth it.
Look for the reviews on google and you will see how well it has been received.
Hope this helps

dwaynedibbly 21:56 07 Sep 2006

Just bought myself an Ipaq 6340 from
click here
Its old(ish) tech, but it does just what I need, pda functions and mobile phone in one. The factory refurb unit set me back £270 (incl delivery and vat) so not a bad price.
Its also sim free which leaves you free to choose your network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?