Phone and broadband

Noldi 21:00 26 May 2006

Hi im looking for advise on Telephone and broadband combined.

My Son is starting School in England (SE) this summer and I would like to know your thoughts on which service provider would be the best. Telephone and Internet together on one monthly bill. Preferably a fixed monthly sum with calls to Europe.

Hopefully he will not be downloading too much but quick enough for sending large emails with attachments, and cheap enough to call Mummy.

Noldi

Jackcoms 21:16 26 May 2006

Tiscali - £14.99 per month for unlimited 1MB BB and free anytime 'phone calls. Note, however, that the free 'phone calls are to UK domestic numbers only. Overseas calls will be charged, but at a price about 5% cheaper than BT.

Minimum contract period of 12 months.

Line rental is in addition at £11 per month from BT.

Jackcoms 21:20 26 May 2006

Sorry, that should read free weekend calls for £14.99.

click here for their full phone and internet packages

Stuartli 00:08 27 May 2006

Depends how long he will be requiring the service.

If it's 18 months or longer then TalkTalk's combination of free broadband (up to 8MB) and AnyTime free UK and International phone calls to 28 countries (including Europe, Australia, the US and Canada) for £20.99 including line rental really does take some beating.

Noldi 11:23 27 May 2006

Thanks for the replies so far.

I notice Tiscali seem to be pushing their marketing now and I have taken notice of the 14,99 deal but didn’t know if phone calls are included (they have come a long way from being that annoying disc on the cover of PCA).
I believe that he will be staying with a family so not sure if he will have a separate BT line.

TalkTalk seems to be the sort of deal im looking for, here in Switzerland we have a very good comparison Webb site is it the same in UK.

Stuartli 13:02 27 May 2006

click here

There are several ISP comparison websites. They include:

click here

click here,

Forum Editor 17:24 27 May 2006

once your son has the internet access the problem could be solved. Just buy him and Mummy a Skype phone each, then they can talk to each other as much as they like and it won't cost you a penny more.

Totally-braindead 17:29 27 May 2006

Thats a very good idea from the FE there, as long as both have their PCs on at the same time each evening/weekend or whatever the calls are free and the phones a very cheap. I noticed them in Tescos a couple of days ago for £19.99 each with £5 phone credit as well, and of course if you're speaking via the internet then you don't even touch the credit as the call is free.

Stuartli 18:19 27 May 2006

With Skype such calls are free at any time - as the FE has pointed out.

I talk/video conference regularly with one of my offspring in the Caymans (in my case using a headset and mike) and the other offspring can join in as well from his home if he's available.

All it requires to start a conversation is to check if the other person is online (hovering the mouse over their name is all that is required) and send an invitation to talk.

Noldi 20:12 30 May 2006

Sorry been very busy.
Skype sounds interesting of to search the Webb.
I have noticed a lot of ISP providers are doing some very good deals for the first 6 months and then not to expensive after but what I need is a set monthly budget for phone.

Thanks Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?