Philips- Are they being unreasonable or is it me..

dontmeshwithme 09:30 25 Jul 2006

My nice shiney new Philips 200W monitor died on me last night, it has managed a total of 7 weeks work! Never mind it's backed up by a 3 year manufacturer's warranty with a 48hr swapout. I called Philips and spoke to a very helpful technician, went through all the possibilities (power cable etc) before he agreed it was faulty. He then asked me to fax them a copy of the invoice as proof of purchase. Thankfully I still had this to hand. He then said to call in 3 days to arrange a swapout, and then he couldn't tell me how long it would take as it depended on their stock level at the time. Is it me or does 3 days to "do the paperwork" seem like a long time when you have no monitor. I purchased Philips as they are a fairly reputable brand. Also I asked whether I would be getting a new one as I felt that it would be unfair after only 7 weeks to get a reconditioned one, again he said he didn't know and it depended on the stock at the time. Do you think it's fair for me to insist on a new replacement?
Just for further info the monitor came from savastore, I buy from them in the knowledge that there after sales support can be less than perfect and this is why I have contacted Philips directly and opted for the manufacturers warrenty rather than relying on my statutory rights.

SG Atlantis® 09:46 25 Jul 2006

Well what's your alternative to dealing with Philips? Contact Savastore for a new one.

I still think Philips will be quicker even if it takes 3 or 4 days and besides they ain't obligated to you, Savatore is.

dontmeshwithme 10:03 25 Jul 2006

Don't you love pass the buck companies....The problem is I cannot get through on the phone and no-one answers emails. This is the message I get when trying to return my 2 month old monitor.

You are trying to return item Philips 200W6CS 20" Widescreen TFT Silver DVI monitor

All returns for Philips 20" LCD Monitors products, which develop a fault Outside of the DOA period are handled by the manufacturer directly.

You can contact Philips by the following methods.
Telephone 0207 949 0069
Telephone click here

freaky 10:25 25 Jul 2006

Possibly Philips had a faulty batch - hence the delay.

About 18 months ago I had a problem with a 17" iiyama ProLite TFT, which I got from Komplett. Same thing happened then i.e. they put me in contact with iiyama. I had a replacement by courier within 3 days.

dontmeshwithme 10:25 25 Jul 2006

Can you please delete the duplicated message .. sorry.

dontmeshwithme 13:30 25 Jul 2006

Philips have told me that they currently have no replacement monitors - but I will be getting a recon, they have refused to repair mine. I have got to call them in 2 days to see if they have one then. Something tells me this is going to go on and on and on.

€dstowe 13:52 25 Jul 2006

I had a Hyundai monitor fail on me. I contacted Hyundai UK and they said leave it with them. In about an hour I had a call from their distributors/repair agents (I think Hyundai in the UK is only an office).

Anyway, the distributors took my details and told me that they would have a new monitor at my premises within 24 hours. I thought that was a bit pie in the sky but, I left it with them.

Next day a NEW monitor arrived which was swapped with the dead one and it has worked perfectly OK ever since (about two years).

wee eddie 13:55 25 Jul 2006

"Philips have told me that they currently have no replacement monitors" A statement of fact, It is likely that had they stock coming in shortly, they would have told you.

Any replacement should be of the same spec, or better, and in similar condition, or better, it should also carry similar warranty conditions.

As most such items, that have problems, reveal themselves in the first few weeks, such a swap-out should do you no harm.

Why not chat with them. Ask what they plan to replace your monitor with, and try to negotiate an upgrade. In law they are only required to replace, like with like, but a few pleasant words might land you a goody!

josie mayhem 14:03 25 Jul 2006

I personaly would ask for a refund. Because I wouldn't except a recondidtioned monitor...

Reason being the monitor you brought was a brand new product because of the limited time you've used it only 7 weeks it can be concider the fault was present when you brought the monitor....

If you except a recon, you have no idea how old this monitor is or why it needed to be recondition....

Add to this fact that when you knownly buy a recondidtioned item, it is far cheaper to purchase than a new one.

I would call saveastore and tell them that you can not have this product replaced with like for like nor have it repaired.... and because you will not except a a recondidtion monitor becasue you have paid for a new, you want your money back please.

I would also give tranding standards or CB a phone just to clairfy your rights, as paying full price for a item and then within 2 months you end up with a recondition item which must be second hand can't be right....

spuds 19:12 25 Jul 2006

"opted for the manufacturers warrenty rather than relying on my statutory rights". Now that sounds like a death wish, which may have left you with limited rights!.

Forum Editor 19:22 25 Jul 2006

was with Savastore - Phillips are under no legal obligation to you whatsoever, and by approaching them direct you may have compromised your rights under consumer legislation.

Many retailers do put you in direct contact with monitor manufacturers, but that's a different matter entirely and is done to speed the process - you retain all your rights in law.

The Phillips warranty is simply something that the company provides in addition to your consumer rights. Now that you're dealing with Phillips it must stay that way, and they will more than likely supply you with a reconditioned item - it's a very common procedure in these cases. You said that you contacted Phillips direct because Savastore's "after sales support can be less than perfect". They can't avoid their liability to you in law, and you would have been within your rights to demand a replacement monitor. Now you may have to accept a reconditioned model.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?