phililps 28inch tv faulty

hijo 16:42 16 Oct 2006

ok this isnt a tv help forum that i know BUT wanted to know if anyone had the same issue as me,now i know this realy could be a shot in the dark so here goes,ive just been given a philips 28 inch 3yr old tv with widescreen, BUT its got a fault...the screen flickers & ive asked a local geezer bout it & hes not prepaired to do anyting with it as hes in his 60's & cant fix a tv that big...??? but suggests it might be a chuck -a-way jobbie..can anyone let me know if they have had a similar issue or whats the out come & can it be repaired @ a decent price..

Stuartli 17:23 16 Oct 2006

Some Philips sets used a 100MHz refresh rate rather than 50MHz - this could be the source of the problem.

Best way is to ask a good local independent TV retailer with a workshop to provide an estimate for repairs.

It's cost you nothing so you've not much to lose...:-)

Ranger 18:17 17 Oct 2006

I don't know the full ins and outs but you could try and see if your original supplier/philips will fix it for free claiming that a TV should last longer than 3 years and the faul must be inbuilt to it, remember you can ask for items to be fixed for 6 years (5 in Scotland)You may have to threaten with the small claims court though. See consumer advice for more help

Stuartli 19:44 17 Oct 2006

This particular TV has been given to hijo so he's not the original purchaser of the set.

In any case, the rule that you are probably thinking of is not six years but "up to six years" according to the type of product, price etc.

See:

click here

for information.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?