pet insurance?

sunnystaines 13:44 10 Apr 2010

I posted a post a while back on dogs, which had some excellent advice given, thank you all for the info.

Still looking,but have a breeder lined up as a possible.

My question is dog insurance any recommendations? do these plans as well as vets bills & liability do they cover things like an annual medical checkup and innoculations. Just trying to weight up running costs other than food and insurance bills.

If we get a female is it of any benefit to have it neutred, I know it males it calms them down.

Woolwell 13:56 10 Apr 2010

Pet insurance usually does not cover the annual medical check-up, inoculation's, flea and tick treatment etc. There is normally an excess to pay on any treatment. In my opinion it is essential to insure a pet. You have to look at the small print with pet insurance - what happens when a pet gets old (our premium has steadily gone up), will the continue to cover a chronic condition (some don't). PetPlan can be expensive but we have found it to give the best overall cover. We did try another insurer but realised that the small print was against us with that company.

Unless you are going to have puppies then all dogs should be neutered. Bitches in season can be a pain with a queue of love-lorn male dogs outside your door and keeping them off when walking (let alone the mess). I have found that vets disagree whether the bitch should be spayed before or after the first season - personally I prefer after the first season. Many rescue centres insist on neutering as there are too many unwanted animals.

Have you decided on one yet?

sunnystaines 14:26 10 Apr 2010

The more we delve into dog keeping the more questions pop up, I am one of those types that likes to get fully updated on the info and research before i plunge in blind. I have done a lot of reading on training and controlling dog behavior. originally were looking at a rescue or 2nd hand adult but the rescue places are so manky they have put us off, and now reverted to a "mollett victorian" bulldog these are bred for dog health rather than all the cruel deformities delibertly bred into the normal english bulldogs.

we have stopped and spoken with people walking these dogs and they all have a nice ambience/character.

one sticking point is holidays, in our camper van it will come with us but if we jet away on a package deal we have to find someone to care for it, not keen on it being locked up in a cage all day.

sunnystaines 14:28 10 Apr 2010

should end ----locked up all day in a cage in kennels.

kidsis 15:21 10 Apr 2010

re insurance - I went with tesco this year, have a look at their policy on line. I think sainsbury do one as well.

re kennel - there are kennels (probably very few though) that are more like hotels for the animals. I remember seeing one on tv and almost booked in myself! It's possible a local vet practice could make some recommendations, or the rspca. Or as you have already "stopped and spoken", try it again re kennels.

spuds 16:14 10 Apr 2010

Pet insurance can be a total minefield, and it would be wise to obtain a copy of the various policy terms and conditions, because they can offer many different things. Even going to the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury,Post Office, Argos etc, have different clauses, and the policy might have originated from the same source company.

The terms can offer 'for the lifetime' of the condition, were others may only offer a fixed maximum claim allowance. Other policies may have no increase on animal yearage, when others can become very expense as time increases. Some policies may even refuse to cover an animal after a certain age, and especially if the breed is noted for certain conditions, like hip dysplasia.

Micro chipping is essential, as is Pet-logging the animal. Yearly jabs are also essential in a vets point of view, but yearly jabs are questionable, depending on what articles you read, and from what side of the pond you get the information from. Lungworm as become more noticeable, and some vets strongly suggest that the animal is vaccinated at regular intervals for this. Medication can be expensive, but this can be sourced cheaper from certain pharmacy outlets. If its a prescription drug, then the vet cannot refuse to offer a prescription, and insist that they supply the medication. Some vets work very well with this, other may not, so be selective on the vet you choose, and possible select by recommendation.

If and when you settle for an animal, I would suggest that you contact 'the particular breed' association for pointers. If you do an internet search, then you may well find a particular breed rescue centre. The animals from these outlets are usually totally genuine, and have been 'handed over' because of many various family issues. Remember that most rescued animals are on 'foster or loan' and in theory may still legally belong to the rescue centre. Buying a 'pedigree' from an unknown source is a definite no-no, even if the animal as appealing eyes and the person selling the dog appears genuine. There are many 'farmed' animals still out there.

Unwanted pregnancies are a no-no, unless you want a least one litter. Thinking that any pups are an easy way to make money, is usually found not to be true, unless you are a true breeder with sales outlets, usually by recommendation or merit.

As for training, books by Foggle etc can be very helpful, and Amazon usually have a good cheap selection. Local dog training schools is another way of making life easier, for both the dog and yourself.

But of course, all the above comes at a price, especially when 'No Dogs Allowed' signs or sudden holidays come into view. Ask any rescue centre, when the get the biggest intake!.

I have owned and trained dogs for quite a few years. My present flock are one Staffy ( another 13 year old died last year), plus a Heinz 57 which consists (we think) of Staffy-Rhodesian Ridgeback-Lurcher. All were from the local rescue centre.

Phew, I had better stop now, before I become an author :O))

sunnystaines 16:40 10 Apr 2010

some good points to consider thanks, tried ringing round vets they all seem to run on answer machines might have to visit them in person.

tried a few pet insurance phone calls as you pointed out they only cover a condition to a set limit then no more not even the following year. looking for a better company thats recommended and used by readers.

will make more enq's re kennels.

been reading quiet a few web sites but advice is contradicted between many web sites. been recommended cesar millan books but the library has waits for books by this author.

Woolwell 16:45 10 Apr 2010

I had a campervan and used to take our dogs. A poop scoop is an essential piece of equipment. However we had a real problem with one of our dogs that was car sick as soon as set off and never got over it.

As spuds mentions "for the lifetime of the condition" is an important part of a policy as you do not want to find it is uninsured after a year's treatment.

There are kennels and kennels. Look around. Not all kennels keep the dogs locked up in cages. Ask how they are exercised and who with and what staff are there at night. Cleanliness and separation from aggressive dogs is important. We found a good kennels run by a vet. Friends recommendations count for a lot. When on dog walks ask other owners where they kennel their dogs.

Not all dog rescue centres are manky. Bit ouf of your way but this one is quite good click here and the Margaret Green Foundation was a place we got 2 from click here

Woolwell 16:46 10 Apr 2010

We currently use PetPlan click here

sunnystaines 17:01 10 Apr 2010

good links, like the outfit in plymouth looks like the kennels are ok, even if a very long drive from surrey to plymouth, hopefully might find another nearer.

jja244 17:04 10 Apr 2010

My vet told me not to bother with pet insurance, instead open a bank account for the cat/dog. Put in a £10 a month for example. If you don't use it for vets bills the money is yours rather than the insurance company's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache