Pcoption experience

Casey3184 18:49 30 Aug 2008

Hi i've just had a computer delivered yesterday by pcoption.co.uk. i ordered it on the 14 augest 08 and it arrived yesterday over a week after they initially told me it would arrive. i ordered it as a gamers package and am yet to recieve my 22" monitor, speakers and vista disc. i knew about that much because i agreed for them to ship the computer without them as i have my old monitor to use for the timebeing.
I got home yesterday to find that the computer does not work. not only that it doesn't actually have a plug so i had to spent quite some time trying to get hold of one from a friend to then find all the error screens. im really unhappy with the service and spent all day to day trying to contact them. on their site it says they are open on saturdays between 10:00 and 16:30. yet nobody was picking up so i assume they either were not working that day or just avoiding all calls like they somtimes "seem" to do. so i found this site and see that the manager deals with alot of unhappy customers on here which i now am. im hoping to get a full refund but i see on these forums that its very hard to get any of my money back from the company. i have yet to speak to them about the refund so all these previous problems may have been addressed. does anyone have any information on whether the customers like myself ever got there full money back and if anyone has any laws or regulations that will work in my favor to get a full refund as quickly as possible such as the distance selling regulation? any help will be very much appreciated. thank you

Casey3184 19:22 30 Aug 2008

as i said i knew i wouldn't be getting the vista disk but i was assured it would be installed and ready to use and they would ship the disk to me when they get it in stock. (they were to use there own disks for the initial install)

GRIDD 21:26 30 Aug 2008

Distance Selling Reg's is correct and you are entitled to a full refund. Do not be fobbed off and do not allow them to deduct admin fees or restocking fees which are ILLEGAL.

Inform the company immediately by email or my recorded post, if you can't reach them by phone, that you wish to return the faulty PC for a full refund.

spuds 22:09 30 Aug 2008

Consumer Direct will explain your consumer rights click here

ened 05:44 31 Aug 2008

PC Option appear to become quite agressive when someone starts a thread on here.

It is still reasonably early days and they probably only had a skeleton staff in yesterday.

If I were you I would spend the beginning of next week trying to sort it out with them and then come back if you still have no joy.

Forum Editor 14:38 31 Aug 2008

entitles you to a full refund as long as you notify the seller in writing within 7 days of the date of delivery. You do not have to give a reason for wanting the refund, and an email is deemed an acceptable form of written notification. You must keep the computer in safe place pending collection.

You are not entitled to a refund under the 7-day rule if the machine was custom-built, but a computer that was upgraded or configured using components selected from a list on the seller's website is not classed as 'customised' within the meaning of the law, and a full refund must be made. Bear in mind the fact that the law allows the seller a period of 28 days from the date of your request within which to make the refund to your card account.

Casey3184 18:47 02 Sep 2008

This is an update of the problem i've been having with pcoption.co.uk. in my previous thread i said how i oredered a pc and it came 2 weeks late and doesnt work and was asked to update everyone on the situation if it isn't resolved. I requested a full refund this monday and still havn't got anywhere after days of emails and phone calls. i tried again to rectify the problem by doing the things that they said such as booting from the hardrive but none of these things have rectified the problem and im still demanding a full refund.
I know that it is not a custom PC as all the parts are picked from a standardised menu that they have on there site but there still insisting i have a custom built PC which affects the regulations that entitle me to a refund. I have spoke to the OFT and a friend who is a solicitor and know i am entitled to a full refund by LAW.

Everyday that passes im getting increasingly annoyed and now tomorrow i will call them up and will not accept anything but a full refund. i will not be waiting for a call later as these never come. I feel they are avoiding me and furious at the lack of communication and constant broken promises. I dont know if anyone here can help me in anyway but i will appreciate any given.

Forum Editor 18:48 02 Sep 2008

you started a second thread on this topic, and that gets very confusing. I've closed that thread now, but in order to maintain clarity for other forum users this is what you said there:

"This is an update of the problem i've been having with pcoption.co.uk. in my previous thread i said how i oredered a pc and it came 2 weeks late and doesnt work and was asked to update everyone on the situation if it isn't resolved. I requested a full refund this monday and still havn't got anywhere after days of emails and phone calls. i tried again to rectify the problem by doing the things that they said such as booting from the hardrive but none of these things have rectified the problem and im still demanding a full refund.
I know that it is not a custom PC as all the parts are picked from a standardised menu that they have on there site but there still insisting i have a custom built PC which affects the regulations that entitle me to a refund. I have spoke to the OFT and a friend who is a solicitor and know i am entitled to a full refund by LAW.

Everyday that passes im getting increasingly annoyed and now tomorrow i will call them up and will not accept anything but a full refund. i will not be waiting for a call later as these never come. I feel they are avoiding me and furious at the lack of communication and constant broken promises. I dont know if anyone here can help me in anyway but i will appreciate any given"

Forum Editor 18:56 02 Sep 2008

as far as your refund is concerned is that you notify the company of your decision to request a refund in writing, and that you do so within seven days of delivery of the computer - have you done that?

If you have, you have fully complied with the terms of the relevant consumer legislation, and as I said earlier you are under no obligation to give a reason for wanting the refund.

The Office of Fair Trading has said quite clearly, both in its written advice to traders, and by telephone to me in the past that a computer which is assembled from an advertised list of parts on a supplier's website is not 'customised' within the meaning of the regulations, and you do not lose your '7-day' right to a full refund when you order such a computer.

You are entitled to a refund, and there's no need to debate the matter with the supplier, or follow any advice about trying to fix the problem if you do not wish to do so - your written request for the refund is sufficient in law.

Please let us know what happens, but do so in this thread - don't start another one, no matter how much time passes.

Casey3184 19:22 02 Sep 2008

sorry about starting another thread im not clear on how forums work as im relitivley new to them.

I have emailed them requesting a refund and that is deemed suffiecent so i wont have to put pen to paper right?. I know this has been recieved as i have been replied to.
Thanks for clearing up what i was quite sure about anyway on how my computer isn't customised.

I'll update you all tomorrow once i have spoken to them again and hope that i will get somwhere with it.
I have a feeling there trying to fob me off until the 7 days are up but i dont have to worry about that right as i already have a requested refund in writing?

thanks for your help

casey

Forum Editor 22:52 02 Sep 2008

so you have no further need to discuss the matter unless you choose to do so. The supplier must comply with your request, provided you gave notification via a durable medium (an email qualifies as a durable medium in this context) within seven working days (bank holidays and weekends don't count as working days) of the day following delivery.

The Office of Fair Trading's leaflet entititled "A short guide for business on distance selling" states, in connection with the right to cancel, that there is an exception in the case of goods made to a customers specification, but goes on to say:-

"This exception does not apply to upgrade options such as choosing alloy wheels when buying a car, or a combination of standard-off-the shelf components when ordering a PC"

That is very clear indeed, and leaves me in no doubt that your entitlement to a refund exists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?