pci-express

User-9A301A1F-01D2-4B94-A9F1461E8F998ED4 11:20 31 Jan 2005

I have a agp Radeon 9800 pro 128mb which i am very pleased with. I do want to keep with the times though and was wondering what of the pci-express cards by ATI is approximately the equivalent to my trusty old 9800.

PsiFox 12:32 31 Jan 2005

Well to use pci express gfx you would need a new mobo so you will have to allow for that.

The slowest pci-e card will far oustrip your current card.

However ATI recently announce they will be converting their pci-e chipset to work with AGP as the AGP market will remain for quite some time to come.

PCi-e is in it's infancy with driver problems and others so I would suggest that unless you are an extreme benchmarker that AGP will do you fine.

What is the rest of your system? You may find that any GFX upgrade is bottlenecked by your cpu.

PsiFox

AMD64 3200+(socket 754)
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe (754)
1Gig Standard Ram
Radeon9800pro 128mb

Yes i know it's a good spec at the moment. Just playing round with ideas really. I'm sure not all pci-express cards will be better than my current card though. X300, X600 and some X700 cards are cheaper than the one I have???

Although it goes wothout saying the X800 and upwards are a lot better.

Yeah i realise it would mean a new mobo+cpu.

How i wish i went for socket 939 a few months ago.....

t.long 13:17 31 Jan 2005

You would want an X800 to better your current card. However considering the effort of getting a new mother board, you might as well just buy an AGP version.

All the advantages of PCIe are basicly theoretical at the moment. It is not that much faster than AGP, since few programmes are designed to take advantage of the increased bandwidth.

Both ATI and Nvidia will cointinue to support AGP for a while yet. Might as well stick with the 9800 Pro untill the next generation of VGA cards comes out and PCIe offers a realy advantage.

PsiFox 13:22 31 Jan 2005

With that spec I would suggest an X800XT. I have one its superb. Will overclock out of the box to PE speeds.

PsiFox

Yeah i guess it's always a good idea to stay 1 or 2 years behind the technology. I'll hold my horses for a year or more. Unless I have money burning a hole in my pocket:P

t.long 13:57 31 Jan 2005

If you looking for an upgrade consider a new HDD. A raptor, 10,000 rpm, should help things along, as would the Maxta with a 16MB buffer, though still only 7200rpm. A new hard disk is somthing you can put in any future PCs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie