PCA put the stick back in sticky

lixdexik 12:06 20 Mar 2004

I see that PCA not only have a new super server, but have also re-discovered super glue for the Tiscali CD. I could not get it off the page without ripping the paper..so the first page of this months workshop is damaged..I hope this is not a return to the torn pages of the past from now on {:-).

On the bright side....what an improvement in the speed of this site..good stuff.well done PCA.

Cheers Lixdexik.

Belatucadrus 12:29 20 Mar 2004

These young folk, they don't know they're born. In my day the Tiscali disk were stuck in place wit three inch wide strip of superglue.

Hypnos 14:20 20 Mar 2004

yep, you would think in this day and age, of sending men to the moon and bringing them back, someone would come up with a bit of sticky, which did not ruin the read.......

Stuartli 15:21 20 Mar 2004

You must just have been unlucky as the Tiscali disk (the number produced must stretch to the moon and back) came off quite easily when I got stuck into the latest PCA around 7-30am today.

Incidentally, after reading the piece about Big Price on Page 37, that's one establishment I wouldn't even bother contacting...

It frankly beggers belief and defies the belief that the customer is always right.

It's a bit like a newsagent refusing to sell a customer the Daily Telegraph because he/she feels said buyer isn't intelligent enough and offers the Sun or Mirror instead.

Forum Editor 16:30 20 Mar 2004

I think you meant to say 'Best Price' didn't you? I'm bound to say that I agree with you - one customer's money should be as good as another's in my book, but it's up to each company to decide its own marketing policies, as it is up to each consumer to decide on where to spend his/her money.

The customer isn't always right by the way - that's a rather silly concept left over from days gone by. In my experience the customer is very often wrong, and when that happens there's no reason why anyone has to pretend otherwise.

I also had problems with the Tiscali disk in the latest issue - perhaps the glue application machine needs reconfiguring.

cycoze 16:40 20 Mar 2004

Ditto on the Glue front.

Regarding `Best Price` they must be doing very well indeed to be able to turn prospective customers away !

TOPCAT® 11:54 21 Mar 2004

sober reading. Don't they realise we all had to start at the beginning to become computer orientated, each with varying degrees of success.

When the current, overheated spending boom starts in decline, which I feel is inevitable sooner rather than later, then they may well be forced to rethink their policy on selective selling as orders fall away.

Their policy, duly described on page 37 of the latest PCA magazine, will be seen by many contemplating buying a computer. I suspect many will heed their advice and look elsewhere for their purchase, and rightly so.

Getting back to the topic of the thread, my Tiscali CD too was very firmly fixed and difficult to remove without page damage. TC.

Stuartli 15:26 21 Mar 2004

Yes, I did mean Best Price - probably the mistake is due to the fact that I type BigPockets so often in the forums...:-)

Sadly though the retail trade must view the customer as always right - if said customer doesn't get the advice or service that he/she believes is their right, then the subsequent complaints to family, friends etc can gradually cause much, often undeserved, harm to a business.

Just look at how many people have a go at Mesh and dabs, to give just two examples, in these forums because they feel they have been badly treated and the subsequent reaction from other forum members.

For instance, read the first paragraph in this thread:

click here

Forum Editor 07:15 22 Mar 2004

that in the retail market the customer is very often wrong - hence the need for some guidance and support during the buying process. Customers - particularly where computers are concerned - are often beguiled by descriptions of machines that are lightning-fast gaming tools whereas many of them actually need office workhorses. It's human nature, and many's the time I've stopped a business client from splashing out on the latest spangly whirly mark IV and persuaded him/her to go for the less expensive, less well specified but eminently suitable machine.

Suppliers have a duty of care towards consumers if the industry is to maintain a reputation for integrity, and to turn a customer away because he or she doesn't fit the company's profile of the perfect consumer does seem to me to be a tad short-sighted to put it mildly. It may well be the case that said customer needs something that the company can't supply, in which case a diplomatic and courteous explanation would be in order. Some companies aren't able (or don't want) to provide the level of support that inexperienced computer users might need - in which case they should make it clear in their advertising and promotional material.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone