PC Worls insurance

reeso_1980 19:24 24 Feb 2010

Evening All

In the last few weeks I have sent my PC back to PC World for repair as it had 2 faulty USB ports on the front of the PC and an input/output error on the DVD drive.
Today I received a letter saying that my PC was going to be replaced and my insurance had been cancelled and I have been given £420 to spend in store which is stated on the letter and I need to take 2 forms of ID.
When I bought the PC new it cost £840 and i have been paying £8.99 a month for about 4 years for the insurance.
PC World having given me the choice of having my old PC back, and with the insurance I thought I would have been refunded the full amount

AM I BEING UNFAIRLY TRATED OR IS THIS NORMAL

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated

Thanks

Input Overload 19:27 24 Feb 2010

No doubt the situation is covered in the small print.

MAJ 19:34 24 Feb 2010

"......... my PC was going to be replaced and my insurance had been cancelled and I have been given £420 to spend in store....."

Nothing wrong with that, a new PC and £420, what's the problem?

reeso_1980 20:02 24 Feb 2010

Its £420 for a replacement not £420 and a replacement

PalaeoBill 20:02 24 Feb 2010

I've heard similar stories from friends and family regarding PCWorld insurance.
Can you clarify precisely what PCWorld have offered please as I think MAJ may have misunderstood you.
If you are being offered a replacement PC AND £420, then as MAJ infers I would snatch their hand of and run laughing to the store with your 2 forms of ID.
If on the other hand all you are being offered is a flat £420 to spend instore and they are going to give you your broken PC back then this sounds pretty unfair to me and a familiar story. In this case you want to seek some legal advice click here

PalaeoBill 20:07 24 Feb 2010

Sorry, our mails crossed.
So OK, they are offering slightly less than you have paid in premiums over 4 years. That doesn't sound like much of an insurance deal to me. If you had put it in a building society you would have a least made some interest.
You need to get a copy of your insurance policy and get citizens advice or some other free legal eagle service to have a look at the wording.
You have a £840 machine that you paid a monthly insurance for to keep it serviceable. You kept your end of the bargain for 4 years. My two penneth is the deal they are offering sucks.

canarieslover 20:09 24 Feb 2010

It sounds like car insurance except a 4 year old car would not get a write-off value of 50% of the new price, 35% being a much more realistic valuation. I should imagine today's £420 will buy a better specced laptop than your old one, though obviously not as far up the the specification as your orignal was at the time of purchase. The insurance didn't seem like good value though as in 4 years they have had more in premiums than they are paying out, but that's what the chance they take, it could have been written off much earlier in it's life.

PalaeoBill 20:10 24 Feb 2010

At the very least you want to get them to give you the £420 as cash or cheque not store voucher. Then you can buy a new DVD drive and USB card and pay someone to fit them for you.

PalaeoBill 20:19 24 Feb 2010

canarieslover

I don't know what you pay in car insurance premiums but its clearly too much. If I wrote my car off and they gave me a quarter of what I paid for it, this would still be many times more than four years of insurance premiums.

I appreciate that reeso_1980 could probably get a better spec machine for the money they are offering but he has paid them more in permiums than they are offering him. If he had stuck £8.99 a month in a piggy bank he would have been better off. This has to be worth a free legal letter to rattle their cage and get him a few more bucks.

reeso_1980 20:25 24 Feb 2010

Thanks for your responses, I will get in touch with then to see if i can squeeze a few more pounds out of them.

canarieslover 20:33 24 Feb 2010

If you take your car insurance as a guide you must remember the No Claims Bonus that you have earned. Taking that into account my base premium is probably in the region of £1000, although I don't pay anywhere near that muc. In the past when I have had classic cars I have had an 'Agreed Value' policy where I had to pay much nearer to the then equivalent of £1000, but that would have paid out the full value in the event of a write-off. In the same way household insurance on a 'New for Old' basis is more expensive than straightforward insurance that only pays out current value. I agree that putting the money in the bank every month would have given a better return in this instance but, if it had blown up completely just out of warranty reeso_1980 would have been a long way out of pocket. I would still try to get a bigger payout and as a cheque rather than a credit note but I should think the small print will be in the insurance company's favour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?