PC World's done it agin!

ajm 00:06 05 Jul 2004
  GANDALF <|:-)> 07:16 05 Jul 2004

End of the world.

G

oresome 19:17 05 Jul 2004

Quote "She thought there were a couple of possibilities. Those were - that the drive was received in that condition from the manufacturer, or that the disk was returned by a customer as new and unused."
The first 'possibility' seems unlikely. The second less so, but should the store accept a customers word that an item is unused and sell again as new if the packaging is open?

bremner 19:26 05 Jul 2004

I find it absolutely disgraceful that a wonderful company like PC World are being picked on like this - I would willingly sell my house and all its contents to help PC World in its fight for justice.

james55 20:00 05 Jul 2004

I think in any large company under sods law this will happen now and again. The only way to prevent something like this would be to disallow returns after a seal was broken. PC world have been very good to me over the years and I would hate to see this happening.

Jim

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:46 05 Jul 2004

Has anyone considered that it could have beena customer that brought it back and resealed the box? Of course not, all customers are always right and never dishonest and it must be those big, bad retailers.../eyes raise.

G

oresome 21:01 05 Jul 2004

PC World has more experience of customer behaviour than most. It should therefore have procedures in place that prevent used items being sold as new. I doubt that a customer can reseal a box well enough to deceive staff into thinking the package has not been opened.

Dorsai 21:16 05 Jul 2004

Could it be a honest, genuine, f'up by a member of staff? No one is perfect, and maybe the HDD was supposed to go back to the supplier, but accidently ended up back on the shelf. No-one is pefect. If i retuned a drive to any shop i would first make sure that it's contents had been throughly shredded, just to avoid this. I have had my disagreements with PC world in the past, but still shop there...I normally find their customer service to follow the lines that i follow when dealing with my customers.

If you can't prove they are wrong assume they are right..

And i know customers lie, and try re-sealing boxes, and say it was bust, when i opened the box in front of them at itme of purchase, to show it was in one piece etc etc...

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:39 05 Jul 2004

'I doubt that a customer can reseal a box well enough to deceive staff into thinking the package has not been opened'..it is not that difficult.

G

To all those PC world supporters -

Why on earth would someone with the capability to open a box leaving the seal suffciently intact so as to allow it to be "resealed", load an operating system, word documents and excel spreadsheets then be so careless as to leave the information on the drive without first at least deleting it if not "shredding" it?

The drive appears to be working so why was it returned?

And if customers can reseal boxes then retailers are just as capable if not more so.

This happens too often with one particular group of companies - so much so it could almost be company policy.

OK - its a "mistake" or whatever and not the end of the (PC)world....unfortunately.

joesoaps 22:50 05 Jul 2004

Another storm in a teacup.Surely any right minded person would not return a hard drive without first obliterating data from the drive,unless of course they were trying to catch someone out.Next thing will be the claim for compensation just wait and see!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?