PC World won't return faulty hard drive

topcat58 17:26 16 Apr 2010

Our dell desktop computer was take by pc world for repair in mid february 2010. After a week or so they said that the hard drive had gone and they were waiting parts. This went on until the end of March.
I phoned them every week to find out the status of the computer, but each time customer service said they were awaiting parts. During these numerous phonecalls i requested that i wanted the old hard drive back. One customer service guy said he would put a request in the tech guys.
When we eventually got the computer back the old hard drive was not returned.
Phoned customer services again, i was told by a young lady that it was returned to dell because it was under warranty. But the warranty with dell had expired in December 2009.
I have made numerous phonecalls to pc world and they said that they have replaced it but they dont have to return the faulty harddrive.
My concern is how do i know whether my data has been destroyed. We pay the monthly subscriptions so i dont see why they should have forwarded it on to Dell. I have no written confirmation that my data has been destroyed. Where is the data protection for the customer? Has anyone else had the same problem with them.

961 18:37 16 Apr 2010

The warranty replacement may well have been provided to PCWorld by the maker of the hard drive rather than Dell

This is one of the quirks of warranty replacements. Invariably the terms of the maker's replacement policy will stipulate that the original unit must be returned in exchange and if you wish to keep the original unit you must, instead, pay for the replacement

In actual fact Dell do have an extra which may be ordered with a new Dell computer which provides cover for exactly this situation but it is mainly the business community that uses it

If the drive has been returned through the usual channels you are probably quite safe but I know that may not provide much comfort

Why don't you write complaining to PCWorld Chief Exec emphasising your original stipulation that the old drive should be returned to you?

spuds 22:41 16 Apr 2010

You may well find that the old drive as been binned now (ever for recycling or destruction), and as such there would not be any record of its whereabouts.

You may also find that in the terms and conditions, they have no responsibility for the data on the old unit. Some companies do 'wipe' drives, using approved security methods.But it as been known for some refurbished drives to resurface in someone else's machine.

Forum Editor 23:33 16 Apr 2010

to protect data on a faulty hard drive - that's your responsibility. Neither is the company obliged to return the faulty drive.

ronalddonald 12:27 17 Apr 2010

Sounds like pc world are stealing parts of computer and reselling them, hence when i go there i ask them why the box of an item is not sealed they come up with they need to check the parts are there before they sell the product. Please don't quote what i might believe might be happening

There are numerous posts within pc advisor with people not having bits of their computer not returned or having bits missing. I would take them to a small claims court with this issue and get your money back that way if possible, i would also find if their a law society near to get info and a citizens advice bureau about your rights.

If you do go to a small claims court i would tell them exactly what they have done to you and keep a note of telephone calls and bring proof ie phone call made and what was said.

Forum Editor 12:49 17 Apr 2010

Don't be dramatic - nobody is stealing anything. Read what I said, the company is under no obligation to return a faulty hard drive when it has been replaced with a new one under warranty, or to protect the data on a customer's drive.

Anyone who sends a computer for repair must take responsibility for backing up important data beforehand - it's common-sense really.

Jameslayer 20:38 17 Apr 2010

How do you protect the data on a HDD which is part of a computer that you send back to be fixed?

spuds 23:04 17 Apr 2010

By doing an external back-up perhaps, the rest is at the mercy of whatever!.

Forum Editor 23:14 17 Apr 2010

Most people - hopefully - have a routine backup procedure, so that if/when there's a hard drive failure their important files are already safely duplicated on external media of some kind.

Jameslayer 23:30 17 Apr 2010

I am talking about protecting the data from a 3rd party. I.E the example given of refurbished HD turning up in pcs.

I think topcat is more concerned about protectiong any data that may be on their. Qoute from his first post last paragraph:

"My concern is how do i know whether my data has been destroyed. We pay the monthly subscriptions so i dont see why they should have forwarded it on to Dell. I have no written confirmation that my data has been destroyed. Where is the data protection for the customer? Has anyone else had the same problem with them."

I quite agrea about people ensuring that they back up any important files external source.

morddwyd 08:16 18 Apr 2010

"i dont see why they should have forwarded it on to Dell."

Because once replaced it becomes Dell's property.

Try getting your car engine replaced under warranty and see if they leave the old one in the boot for you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?