PC World - what does 'free' mean?

Beth 19:30 20 May 2004

We visited our local PCW branch because I was interested in a printer I spotted on their website. I was also hoping for some info on wireless networking. We went to the section with the networking stuff and, in front of the shelves there were a couple of leaflet holders offering free information. The holders were both empty so I toddled over to the Customer Service desk and asked if they had any more. The gent I spoke to didn't know what I was talking about so I showed him the empty holders and the penny seemed to drop. He took us over to another stand with information packs about different aspects of computing. He picked up the networking one and started to tell me about how much it would cost for them to install. I explained that I just needed the information and I pointed to the pack in his hand and asked if I could just take it. He said no and that it had to be paid for. I pointed out that there was a notice on top of the stand indicating that the information packs were free. He insisted that it had to be paid for. I couldn't be bothered arguing so I thanked him for his help and cleared off.

Further round the store we saw the printer and it did all we wanted but it's still there. If 'free' (in huge letters) doesn't mean 'free' then maybe the price tickets don't mean what they say, either! Well, OK, that's nasty, but doesn't it just put you off!!

Chronos 19:51 20 May 2004

PCworld are ok for checking out the goods you would like to buy, but then get them elsewhere, and they are dear, an example, i wanted a logitech pro4000 webcam,pcworld £79.99, amazon including postage £60...so amazon sold a webcam....

Chronos 19:51 20 May 2004

PCworld are ok for checking out the goods you would like to buy, but then get them elsewhere, and they are dear, an example, i wanted a logitech pro4000 webcam,pcworld £79.99, amazon including postage £60...so amazon sold a webcam....

Steven135 20:26 20 May 2004

I for one am glad PCWorld are there I have bought tons of stuff from them it's good to be able to walk out with the goods there and then often found good bargains as well.

cream. 20:52 20 May 2004

some of staff use at my local PCW.

I pop in now and then to see if they are any bargains or I am really desperate for some thing quick.

I don't know if this is peculiar to this store but the ticket price never seems to match the checkout price. More often than not the price asked is lower than the price on the ticket. I enquired the first time and was greeted with you must pay what comes on the screen.

Oh well, I suppose I will have to carry the extra money home with me. :-(

josie mayhem 21:04 20 May 2004

I'm suprised anyone really knows what they are paying until they get to the till at PCworld.

In my local store, you spend more time finding the price for the product, than compareing the makes you intend to buy.

I've seen no price describtion at all, two different prices for the same product, with a difference of £30 between them.

Some staff seem to know what they are doing, but mostly I think that they haven't got a glue.

cream. 21:18 20 May 2004

"Some staff seem to know what they are doing, but mostly I think that they haven't got a glue."

sniff sniff

spuds 23:06 20 May 2004

I think that you may find, the product the assistant was holding, was a PCW installation pack. If you look around most PCW stores, you will see these packs at various locations,the content covers a range of service offers ie Computer HealthCheck etc. You purchase the pack, and a PCW technician will carry out the service.

In the case of the 'free, help yourself' item [leaflets], it may have been a simple case of shortage or re-stocking availability.

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 19:45 21 May 2004

I've noticed that in two different stores now.

You look at the item on the shelf e.g Panasonic DVD-Rs 10 pack you look down at the price on the shelf just below the product and it says £10.99 and you think WOW! Thats cheap.

And as you can't beleive it you rub your eyes and look again. And the ticket that says £10.99 also says PC World 5pk CDR (or whatever).

Nothing ever matches. Especially on consumables. It takes ages to find the correct ticket with the price and you see £69.99.

Shake your head and move on!!!

ch0pper 00:41 22 May 2004

is not that PC World are expensive - they often are - but the absolutely appalling queues at the till (they never seem to open more than one at the Hege End store). The checkout person lolls about in his/her chair and clearly doesn't give a flying fig about the customers. We're there to interrupt the chat he's been having with the shaven-headed over-weight thug they call a secutiy guard.

That being said, when i was setting up the wireless network at home, the chap that helped me couldn't have been more pleasant and informative and in no rush. Then I had to take my purchaes to the till - and wait for 15 minutes as the lout on the checkout dealt with the 3 people in front of me.

Satmansq 13:07 22 May 2004

I agree with chopper about the tills, only ever 1 open but isnt it strange that there are always plenty of people wandering around and hassling you while you decide what you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone