pc world voucher

metabolee 22:28 08 Dec 2005

Hi i have just received a voucher for £620 towards a new base unit, i have been on website and nothing really stood out what Brand would any of you reccomend (compaq crashed big time hence voucher)spec i dont really know much bout AMD or Pentium...what should i look for in graphics?? thanks Paul

Diodorus Siculus 22:40 08 Dec 2005

It all depends on what you want to do with it - if you are happy to take a base unit and not do any major upgrades, then any of them are ok.

Can you hold on to your money till after christmas? - by then there will be some better deals available.

I keep an eye on the PCWorld clearance section and see a lot of e-machines and compaqs in them so would avoid them. Their own brand Advent machines can be good value at times.

Diodorus Siculus 22:43 08 Dec 2005

As regards graphics, go for a machine with at least an AGP slot - even if it has on-board graphics, you might one day need decent graphics capability.

SG Atlantis® 22:53 08 Dec 2005

your comments about compaq fill me up with joy after buying one just a month ago from PCW. I bought the SR1639UK with the 19inch tft upgrade for £879.00.

How much do wanna go to in spending? I know the voucher is £620.

I'd look for Socket 939 amd based system and PCI-E graphics. AGP is on it's way out.

metabolee 20:23 09 Dec 2005

i bought the sr1339 for £749 with monitor upgrade so i dont know wether to try Compaq again?? i just need to buy a base unit im lookin at the PB imedia1618 for £649 sell the monitor on i think 1024 ram 200gb HD 256mb ati x550hm graphics P4 i might wait until new year?

SG Atlantis® 21:26 09 Dec 2005

you see i was told the same about "knackard bell" I think every manufacturer is gonna have a number of dud machines no matter what, they produce that many.

If ya wait a couple of weeks you might get a real gem at a bargain price is January sales.

Best of luck for your next purchase.

metabolee 21:42 09 Dec 2005

hello, i have been on Dixsons and spotted a Compaq sr1639 base unit £629. 320HD 1024 ram Graphics mem 256 i might go for this one it looks good to me, not a lot of choice for my budget. amd athlon 64 3700 is that agood pro??

SG Atlantis® 21:52 09 Dec 2005

yep, it's the fastest computer I have had. I stuck in another gig of ram to make 2 gig. I like it! it's actually 2 160gb hdd's you get making the 320gb.

The graphics card will cope with the latest games really well too, at medium settings.

But it's very upgradeable, Standard PSU, easy to upgrade, socket 939 amd all the newer processors use this kind of socket (i.e. the dual core ones) and it's PCI-E graphics which is the newer standard as AGP is on it's way out.

SG Atlantis® 21:55 09 Dec 2005

full spec click here

metabolee 21:57 09 Dec 2005

well thanks all for the info given i might just go for the compaq..atlantis uve swayed me onto the 1639!! ive insurance so if it all goes wrong again i'll get another thats what u pay for!!

SG Atlantis® 21:58 09 Dec 2005

yeah, i took extended service too ;)

Good luck, I'm off to work :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?