PC world-out of warranty!! Motherboard gone???

clairelm2 14:37 28 Sep 2007

HELP please. i have just been told the motherboard of my Patriot 3070 laptop has gone!! i cant switch it on, i cant access my wotk, i cant survive!

The item is 18 months old (bought 15 march 2006). surely i should not need to replace the laptop or motherboard after 18 months, i am at university studying and this is a huge expense which i cannot afford. the laptop cost me £349.99 and im being told it will cost £220 plus VAT to repair (is there any point)???

Where do i stand with current laws and legislations?? PC world have stated that it is not in the warranty period so i will need to pay to have the item fixed, and they have advised me that it would be better off to buy a new laptop!!

A guy from 'Tech guys' stated that motherboards can fail after any period even 3 months and that there is nothing they can do about it!!

I have read that items should come with a six year life expectancy and this is not the case, should i really need to replace my laptop every 18 months??

PLEASE help.

Thanks

Claire.

spuds 17:00 28 Sep 2007

" A guy from 'Tech guys' stated that motherboards can fail after any period even 3 months and that there is nothing they can do about it!!".

The PCW tech guy's having a laugh, contact Consumer Direct click here for advice on consumer rights.

Components can and do fail, but some items are classed as being serviceable after the usual 12 month warranty period. And as you have already stated, consumer law suggest up to six years on some items.

wee eddie 17:41 28 Sep 2007

should last more than 12 months.

Meanwhile you might consider removing the Hard Drive and putting it in a an External USB Enclosure (so becoming an External Hard Drive), which would mean that you could then access it from another PC, and later return it to the laptop if/when it was repaired.

STREETWORK 18:08 28 Sep 2007

I always ask a question, how long will it last?

My samsung monitor died after 2 years 5 months, a call to samsung got me a new one free of charge.

Items should last a reasonable period of time, the question is what is that reasonable period?

A visit to PC World and ask the question of one of the floor assistants, How long will the hardware in this laptop last? If the answer is longer than 18 months then whip out your lap top and 'say fix that then'

Which make is it as it may be worth contacting the manufactures directly...

interzone55 21:38 28 Sep 2007

Motherboards can, and do, fail very quickly. Often the offending part can be replaced.

In a PC it's easy to open the case & take a look at the motherboard, but things are never that easy with a laptop.

One of the biggest reasons for Mobo failures are the capacitors around the CPU, these tend to pop at inconvenient times. If you're lucky your local PC repair shop may be able to replace them. If not then the only option, if indeed it is the mobo that's died, is a replacement, which will cost a pretty penny.

I'd be tempted to take it to a repair shop & see if it can be repair without drastic surgery.

On the subject of warranties, you would be hard pressed to get anyone to replace an item after the 12 month warranty as expired, the 6 year period stated in the sale of goods act deals with design faults & faulty workmanship, try and expain that to the droid in PCW and you won't get very far.

ForestChav 12:33 30 Sep 2007

The clincher is if a £350 patriot laptop (a very cheap line, in terms of both cost and quality) is expected to last 18 months. You might have a case with a £700 Sony one but £350 wouldn't get a very good machine these days let alone 18 months ago. I'd be dubious.

You could always pursue the SOGA route but you need an engineer's report to prove it was faulty when you bought it.

A MB like any other item can fail at any time, usuallly straight after purchase or at the end of its expected lifetime.

PalaeoBill 13:21 30 Sep 2007

Have you looked at claiming under your household insurance?

Alternatively:
You do have rights under the sale of goods act. A laptop should be expected to last several years. If it has failed in 18 months and was not subjected to anything other than normal use then you have a good case.
I think your best bet is to try contacting the manufacturer. They may offer to repair it free of charge for you.
If you have no joy with the manufacture then write to PC World; it is them that you have a contract with. Tell them that you do not consider the laptop was of merchantable quality. The part of the act you need to quote is "goods you buy must be reasonably durable and of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose". Tell them you consider a failure after only 18 months as unacceptable and that you want them to repair the laptop free of charge.
If you get no joy there, then I suggest a small claims court action. It is not all that expensive and is a relatively simple procedure.

pj123 13:21 30 Sep 2007

clairelm2, I would suggest, until you get the problem sorted out, that you take your hard drive out of your laptop.

Now find £17.95 and purchase one of these:

click here

You can then plug your laptop hard drive into any other computer that you could beg, borrow, or steal to continue your course.

Quiet Life 13:58 30 Sep 2007

EEC legislation provides a period of conformity of two years click here

In Portugal following the directive they passed legislation that the minimum period of any guarantee is two years.
UK already having a six year period in their legislation did nothing as they felt consumers were already covered.
Clearly for a motherboard to fail in 18 months is not normal and is unacceptable and you would have a strong case at law. I would advise to proceed as Palaeo Bill suggests

seabrookb 00:37 13 Apr 2009

Two years late! but try this link for a DIY fix:

click here

Kevscar1 06:57 13 Apr 2009

Knowing PC World I am sure that you were offered the chance of an extended warrenty at time of purchase which I am sure they would bring up in any court case.
You accepted a 1 yr one so you can't really complain if something goes wroung after 18 months.
As for the life of a part no one can really predict how long they will last. I bought a machine with dual harddirves and they both failed after 3 months but the replacements are still going strong after 7 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017