PC World, not of this world it seems

Zurdo 19:27 28 Jan 2007

A friend who knows very little about pcs decided he wanted a new machine and didn't want to order direct from Dell or Evesham etc ( don't ask!) so went to Pc World and saw this machine click here:(any):(any):(any):(any):(any):(any):450:3150:PageNo_0:SortOrder_DOWN
The store said it was out of stock but I followed the links online and it came back that the self same store had it in stock so I made out a collect at store order and off we went. The assistent said they didn't have it in stock with the LG monitor I'd ordered but had the Philips monitor. No problem says I we'll take the system with the Philips. "Can't do it" says the assistent, "the collect at store order specifies the LG" "I'll use your computer to make out a new order then" says I but apparently this is verboten. After having words with a supervisor he then said we could have the Philips but it would cost another £30. I then rang my missus who went through the procedure of getting a new collect at store order using my computer specifying the Philips monitor and hey presto everything was then OK. We got what we went in for and all ends well. But couldn't this have been a bit easier or have computers taken over the world!

Forum Editor 20:54 28 Jan 2007

Where would we be without them?

Jak_1 21:30 28 Jan 2007

The bigger the company, the more rules they have and the more things are open to abuse. methinks the staff were just covering themselves.

keef66 14:18 29 Jan 2007

How utterly surreal! Top marks to you for persistence and lateral thinking in the face of PC World's repeated attempts to stop you buying something.

spuds 15:44 29 Jan 2007

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. All to do with the duty manager ;o)

Mr Mistoffelees 15:56 29 Jan 2007

So why could they not have been a little more flexible? Could they not have cancelled the order and sold Zurdo what he wanted right away, without the hassle?

Dizzy Bob 20:54 29 Jan 2007

I usually avoid posting in PCW threads, but incidents like this really annoy me.

It would have been quite possible to use a terminal in the store to place the order again, yes technically against 'the rules', but to me, simple common sense rather than incoveniencing a customer who is there waiting to buy.

Failing that the store could have made the original sale, and then completed a fairly simple administrative process to switch the monitor.

Zurdo, may I ask which branch it was?

Regards,

DB

Forum Editor 21:01 29 Jan 2007

Think about it for a moment.

If you allowed staff to use in-store network machines to place online orders for in-store collection you would be storing up trouble. I'm sure you don't need me to spell out the potential for problems.

It's a sensible rule - I would make it myself, if I was running the business.

Zurdo 15:56 30 Jan 2007

Dizzy Bob
I'd rather not specify the branch in case the machine has a hiccup . Suffice to say it's on the East Coast in a town which used to have a distinct fishy smell about it and no, I don't mean Grimsby! :_)

ajm 18:30 30 Jan 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?