PC WORLD -NEVER AGAIN

VINCENTINPRESTON 23:59 20 Jul 2003

HELLO READERS,JUST THOGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW ABOUT MY LAST EXPERIENCE WITH PC WORLD,I SAY LAST BECAUSE I HAVE NO INTENTION OF SHOPPING THERE AGAIN. I BOUGHT A LEXMARK PRINTER IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR , AND IT WORKED FINE EVEN THOUGH I USED REFILLS FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE AND NOT LEXMARK OWN BRAND. ANWAY, ONE DAY APPROX 3 MONTHS LATER THE PRINTER STOPPED ACKOWLEGING THAT I HAD A CARTRIDGE INSTALLED. AFTER TRYING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM I GAVE UP AND RANG PC WORLD, AT FIRST I WAS TOLD TO RING LEXMARK DIRECT,BUT YOU DO HAVE A RIGHT TO TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE FROM WHICH YOU PURCHASED WHICH WAS WHAT I DID.
WELL WHAT A PERFORMANCE, FIRST IWAS TOLD THEY COULD NOT DEAL WITH IT AT THE SHOP AND THAT I WAS TO CONTACT LEXMARK, THEN I ASKED IF THEY COULD TEST IT INCASE MY OWN COMPUTER HAD A SOFTWARE OR OTHER PROBLEM,WHAT WITH,WAS THE REPLY,THE TEST UNIT BEHIND YOU I SAID,THIS WAS A SPECIAL AREA OF THE STORE IN WHICH THEY UPGRADED OR REPAIRED ITEMS.
AFTER ABOUT 15MINS I WAS TOLD THAT YES THE PRINTER WAS FAULTY,BUT I HAD INVALIDATED THE WARRANTY BY USING REFILLS OTHER THAN LEXMARK. I POINTED OUT THAT THEY THEMSELVES SOLD INKJET REFILLS OTHER THAN MAKER BRANDS SO WERNT THEY BEING A BIT CONTRADICTORY. MY DISCUSSION WENT THROGH 3 SALESPEOPLE UP TO THE ASSISTANT MANAGER WHO STILL REFUSED TO MOVE AT ALL,AND EVENTUALLY I LEFT THE PRINTER WITH THEM,AS IT WAS NO GOOD TO ME IN ITS PRESENT CONDITION.I ASKED THE ASSISTANT MANAGER TO PLEASE WRITE DOWN HIS NAME AND THAT OF THE MANAGER WHO APPARENTLY WAS NOT IN THE STORE, THIS HE REFUSED TO DO BUT SAID THAT I COULD WRITE IT DOWN MYSELF , AN ODD ATTITUDE.
i EVENTUALLY LEFT THE STORE EMPTY HANDED AND A FEELING OF INTIMIDATION HAVING TO ARGUE MY POINTS WITH 5 STAFF IN FRONT OF OTHER POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS. I WROTE A STRONG LETTER TO PCWORLD AND RECEIVED IN REPLY A SHORT LETTER SAYING THE MANAGER WAS RIGHT IN HIS ACTIONS AND THAT I HAD NO RECOURSE WITH THEM.
I PHONED PCWORLD CUSTOMER SERVICE AT THEIR HEAD OFFICE AND SPOKE AT GREAT LENGTH TO A REP WHO PROMISED HE WOULD GET BACK TO ME,WHICH HE DIDNT,I PHONED AGAIN ABOUT A WEEK LATER AND SPOKE TO THE SAME CHAP,AGAIN A PROMISE OF A RETURN CALL ,AGAIN NO REPLY AND STILL WAITING ONE MONTH ON THANKS FOR READING DRAW YOUR OWN IDEAS,ANY COMMENTS WELCOME

davidg_richmond 00:41 21 Jul 2003

Every major retailer has the same repair route for printers - the customer calls the manufacturer direct. This is a better system than having to go to the store. Yes, the Sale of Goods Act makes the seller responsible, but to claim on the manufacturer's warranty on printers or monitors you go to the manufacturer. THEY provide the service, direct to the customer. The store was acting as any retailer would do in that situation. The manufacturer will REPLACE the printer and not REPAIR it, all on-site. So you get a better service as you do not wait for a repair.

I cannot comment on the warranty invalidation, I know Epson will not fix a printer that has had refills/compatibles where they are aware of it. I'm not sure what Lexmark's stance is with this, but again if you contacted them direct you would know.

In compliance with the SoG, the store should have offered to contact the manufacturer while you were there, to arrange a convenient time for Lexmark to pick up the printer and replace it (they do not fix them).

davidg_richmond 00:42 21 Jul 2003

P.S. Please do not 'shout' (i.e. use capital letters), it is against forum etiquette.

744 01:06 21 Jul 2003

Hmm, I would dispute the previous advice given to you. Under the sale of goods act the trader,PC World ,is liable for any breach of contract unless he was acting as the manufacturers agent. Within the 1st. 6 months from sale the onus is on the retailer to prove that the goods conformed to the contract, i.e. were not faulty.

If they are unwilling to adhere to this you should contact your local trading standards office and/or citizens advice bureau.

Djohn 02:26 21 Jul 2003

You are correct in saying that PC World are responsible as they are the agent that sold you your printer. But why go through the extremely difficult route of insisting on them replacing it when the manufacturer will do it for you, on site at no cost to your self. This is the normal and accepted way to exchange a printer or monitor, they most always come with their own warranty.

It would be different if the printer was only a few weeks old, I'm sure that PC World would have exchanged it immediately for you if this was the case.

David's advice is good and he is in a position to understand the normal method taken by the store.

Epson used to wash their hands and refuse to help if you had been using compatible ink, but now they will deal with a problem as long as it is not caused by the use of compatible ink.

I really do think the best course of action is to phone Lexmark, report the fault and ask nicely if they will exchange the printer for you, if they refuse, [Most unlikely] then it will be time to go back to PC World. I feel sure if you phone Lexmark in the morning your problem will be solved before mid-week. Regards. j.

sghenryd 10:34 21 Jul 2003

I have had experience with both P C World & Lexmark and would advise you to take the following action:

The quickest route is to contact Lexmark direct, they would have asked you to do some self checks whilst they were on the phone with you. Then (as is the case) if it were faulty, they would have arranged to exchange the faulty unit with either a new model or reconditioned unit.

All I had to do was to re-pack the faulty unit (Lexmark 3200) and exchanged it with the courier, all this took place within approx 4 days.

My unit was a factory reconditioned and it has performed faultlessly over the last few years.

I can understand how frustrating it can be when all you are faced with are smug members of staff who, could have offered you this same advice but in a more customer focused manner. Hope this info helps.. SGD

SAM 11:14 21 Jul 2003

I had a problem with a HP Photosmart 1315 Printer which I purchased brand new from Morgons Auction site. It was delivered faulty and I rang HP service and were willing to replace it with a new one after I had sent the faulty one back. There customer service staff were very helpfull to me and I was impressed with there professional approach to me problem. My next printer will be a HP.
As for PC World, yes they do have a large store full of PC bitsand bobs dut staff need more traning in customer service. Its easy to loose a customer biut a lot harder to get one.

lucybear 12:46 21 Jul 2003

If PC World say the warranty is invalid because you didn't use Lexmark inks, correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't PC World sell compatible ink jet cartridges made by other manufacturers?

Surely that is an indorsement that its OK to use generic carts! Also does their warranty actually state that its void if you use someone elses carts?

Personally, I never shop at PC World. I find them very expensive, and I have found some of their advice pretty lousy - A bit like Time's Tech support.

davidg_richmond 13:09 21 Jul 2003

The problem is, when someone's printer goes faulty and they bought it from a high-street shop, their first thought is to take it straight back in. Some call up and find out the best route to resolve it, but most seem to walk in with a printer in their arms.

When they find out they have to go back home again and phone a number, then wait for somebody to call after a few days, understandably they get frustrated. I still haven't worked out the best way to deal with this situation, no matter how nice or pleasant and helpful I try to be their is always a level of disappointment, or at worst, an 'I want a new one NOW!' demand.

Out of the interest of customer service, and in accordance with the SoG Act, I always offer to call the manufacturer while the customer is present to arrange the swap-over. This seems to resolve much. I have also taken to notifying each customer who buys a printer from me to call the manufacturer in the event of a fault, before they buy it. Then if there are any disagreements, they were told in the first place what would happen. Perhaps a little training for sales advisors is required to do the same.

This is not a PC World issue, this is an industry-wide practice. The only issue with PC World is that they could have been more accommodating in helping you to get it sorted quicker.

davidg_richmond 13:15 21 Jul 2003

Compatible inks are sold in virtually all places I know of that sell printers, again PC World cannot be blamed for this. Lexmark and other manufacturers disagree with the use of compatibles because it harms their profits as opposed to their printers (though as they sell printers below cost price they have to protect their income in some way).

Manufacturers cannot enforce a rule that invalidates warranties, unless they can prove that the cartridges have actually damaged the printer. Obviously a paper feed problem isn't going to be caused by compatibles, but an ink leak is.

VINCENTINPRESTON 16:46 21 Jul 2003

Just a thankyou to all you folks who have replied to my message.I am sorry for the use of upper-case, and did not mean to offend anybody.
I have the following problemn,I cannot phone Lexmark because the printer is still at the store where I left it some weeks ago.The first thing lexmark need is the serial number of the machine which I obviously do not have,I am loathe to return to store to ask for this.
Today I have spoken once again to PC World and have been told that Lexmark have rejected my claim because I have apparantly invalidated the warranty(note that I have not yet spoken to Lexmark directly on this matter and have only PC worlds word on this!)
I have spoken to trading standards who inform me that no matter what the companies policy is, they have to as the agents deal with this matter for me if I insist although I was advised that this might be hard to pursue.
Again thanks for you replies , will try Lexmark tomorrow and ssee if what has been said is true , if so there is probably nothing else I can do. thanks again. Vin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie