PC World misled me & sold me second hand compute!

clueless55 18:51 13 Jul 2006

hi all, this is a bit of a long story and i will need as much help as possible to solve my problem.

4 days ago pc woorld sold me a second hand computer, they told me it was non-pristine and was probably just ex display and not used. however from the first day i have had problems with it and 2 days ago it stopped working completely, so i spoke to customer services and the told me that my pc was registered to mr stevens which therefore means it must have been previosly owned.

it was a really high spec computer and they told us it was cheap because it is the end of the line.( model was packard bell ixtreme gold mc 2108) 500gb and 1GB RAM.

when i approached my salesperson about this he was helpful and told me what pc world had just done was illegal and they should be easily persuaded to give me a eplacement product of the same spec and he gave me this on writing.

despite this when i came to seem to the assistant manager next day she was forcing me to give take a refund and let it go and was hessitant to tell me why they wont fix my PC and what is actually wrong with it. she was actually using a very threatening tone and it was clear that ive just touched a nerve.

i went to speak to the salepserson who was goig to go on holiday today but on every occasion another colleague comes to me instead and usher him away from pe, (no exxageration here) and very suspicously. as soon as i enter the store they all start looking at me anxiously.

so can you please help me on what i can and cant do, im hoping to call trading standars soon because there was a simmilar case last year which oc world had a lot of bad PR for but i dont believe it happened to me and to such a great PC.

please help me i will reply to every post and any comment would be deeply appreciated because i really need to act quick since they still have my PC.

Stuartli 19:00 13 Jul 2006

If they still have your PC as you state (although you didn't say earlier in the thread that you had taken it back), then anything on it could easily be wiped.
usual ex
I'm sure that the FE will be along before long to offer his expertise in such matters but, in any case, I would still contact Trading Standards and keep them fully up-to-date on the situation.

clueless55 19:15 13 Jul 2006

sorry i forgot to mention that i broke it back and btw what do you mean by FE and and what do you mean by everything on it could be easily wiped.

namtas 19:25 13 Jul 2006

You were sold a pre owned PC (i.e. a second-hand PC), and you believed that you were purchasing new. If you were not specifically told by PC World at time of purchase that your purchase had been previously owned then you are without doubt fully entitled to either your money back or a direct or equal value replacement PC.
It is a serious offence to pass second-hand goods on as new.

rezeeg 19:47 13 Jul 2006

FE is our Forum Editor.

By wiped I think that Stuartli was referring to the fact that PC world could erase evidence of a previous owner from the disc.

SG Atlantis® 19:52 13 Jul 2006

cust. services told her it was owned by Mr Stevens... I assume they must have records of serial numbers and owners.

I don't think it was a matter of an entry in system properties under reg.owner.

Very serious offense. FE will put you right here, I would contact Trading Standards and push for a brand new same spec computer.

rezeeg 19:54 13 Jul 2006

"what pc world had just done was illegal and they should be easily persuaded to give me a eplacement product of the same spec and he gave me this on writing."

Was this done on official PCW paper and signed by him on behalf of PCW?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:59 13 Jul 2006

'when i approached my salesperson about this he was helpful and told me what pc world had just done was illegal and they should be easily persuaded to give me a eplacement product of the same spec and he gave me this on writing'.....are you sure...in writing? This seems slightly odd behaviour.

' as soon as i enter the store they all start looking at me anxiously'...rather odd behaviour; are you sure?

'so i spoke to customer services and the told me that my pc was registered to mr stevens which therefore means it must have been previosly owned'...odd behaviour as it would drop them in the mire.

'sorry i forgot to mention that i broke it back'...so you have left the computer at PCW...and your only 'evidence'?

I am slightly confused by some of your post. I am sure all the events happened but it does seem rather odd.

G

clueless55 20:16 13 Jul 2006

i sware they acted so suspicously around me and i dont know why? the salesman befriended us and is honest but next day when i spoke to the a.manager and the salesman had wrote us a written complaint about th product. they reacted by just simply saying that if your not happy then just give the product back and end of story but i was just wandering if i can push it further.

it was done on a plane peice of paper with the salesman's name on it. he then gave us a copy of it.

btw the hard drive was completely empty when we got it and had no trace (from what i can see) that there was another user.

thanx alot all of you for all of your posts, feel free to post any comments, it could all help me in the end

Diodorus Siculus 20:25 13 Jul 2006

Take your money back as offered and start afresh.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:38 13 Jul 2006

'btw the hard drive was completely empty when we got it and had no trace (from what i can see) that there was another user'how would 'customer services ' have known who owned it?

If I were you I would graciously accept a refund as too many things seem to be 'out of place'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?