PC World -- and faulty keyboard

Monoux 08:29 30 Mar 2010

I have a logitech keyboard 9 months old and the lettering is wearing off on several keys.

I took it back to my local PC World store and was told by the manager he would not replace it.

Logitech themselves say because it is under one year old it is under guarantee and it is up to the retailer to replace it.

I feel I now have no alternative than to take this up with PC World Head Office.

However, before I do so I am asking for opinions on how long a keyboard should last before the lettering starts to come off. I know this is subject to how much it is used but although I use my PC most days a lot of the use is by the mouse and maybe the equivalent of 30 pages per month on the keyboard.

Any thoughts appreciated

Kevscar1 09:47 30 Mar 2010

You need to read the guarantee and see exactly what it covers. I have a feeling that use resulting in fading letters will not be included ie it is still usable, no fault preventing it from operating.
Hopefully I'm wrong

Bertie20 09:52 30 Mar 2010

Monoux - A keyboard should last a lot longer than 9 months before letters start wearing off. If Logitech are stating there is a years guarentee and the warranty is with the retailer then PC World should replace it.

Your should get a statement from Logitech stating exactly that and then forward this to the manager of PC World asking for his/her views on the matter and why they are not honouring Logitechs warranty.

donki 11:42 30 Mar 2010

I had exactly the same problem with a Logitech keyboard, the A and S being the worst hit (probably from gaming). The board wasn't even 6 months old. I too went to PCWorld they said wasn't there problem, argued a bit then got fed up. Called Logitech customer service and they araraged for a new desktop kit to be set out by courier, got it with in 2 days, all I had to do was post the USB reciever and battry cover to them from my old set.

I have actuially had to have the board replaced twice, the newest one seems to be fine.

PalaeoBill 12:24 30 Mar 2010

I am using a Cherry keyboard at home that must be more than ten years old. It has been transferred from PC to PC outlasting several of them; I like the action. No visible signs of wear at all and it has had much use.
In your shoes I would ask for a replacement, 9 months just isn't good enough.
One caveat though. Does anyone who uses your keyboard also use nail polish remover? I have female colleagues who have wrecked keyboards in short time.

spuds 13:07 30 Mar 2010

I have a number of the 'cheapo' type keyboards, and none of them are proving faulty within the first few years,and never have done, including 'fading keys'. Perhaps I have been very lucky (!). Logitech is a good brand, so one can only assume that their suggestion of returning it back to PC World for replacement, is within your consumer and their manufacturer's rights and arrangements.

If you have a printout of Logitech's response, then take this to PC World and ask the manager to comply. If they refuse, then ask for their explanation 'in writing' and contact DSG head office for further help and advice. Travelling time and fuel costs trying to sort out a faulty item problem, doesn't come cheap nawadays, and perhaps a reference to this might help!.

I tend to find that with PC World, managers (not all) seem to be on the defensive of non-returns, or the implications of consumer laws in favour of the customer.

birdface 13:16 30 Mar 2010

I had a Logitech keyboard which soon lost a few letters.
I don't think it was the keyboard fault it was the way my Grand Daughter used to batter it while typing.
Fed up telling her she does not need to press so hard on the keys.
But does she listen.
Mind you they were mostly on the left hand side of the keyboard so I will assume they get used more than the ones on the right hand side.

Al94 13:41 30 Mar 2010

Still not fit for purpose, go back to PCW with a copy of Logitech response. Ask for the manager and if he still refuses, inform him quietly and calmly that you are not leaving the store without a replacement. That tactic has worked for me in the past.

Monoux 14:37 30 Mar 2010

Thanks all for the responses -- they indicate the general view that it should last longer than 9 months.

I'll get back to logitech first as I've only had a phone conversation with them so far and will need something in writing.

I'm due to visit some relatives this weekend so might try a different branch and see if that one has a manager with some customer care skills !!

spuds 16:18 30 Mar 2010

Your 'try a different branch' might backfire, because if like another well known superstores group, the manager loses bonus points (which goes against them) on accepting faulty items, even accepting items from their own store or other stores.

In the 'well known superstores group', the sales assistant's know this, but the customer does not. Good luck anyway ;o)

Monoux 17:14 30 Mar 2010

spuds -- Thanks for the heads up - I think I'll give it a go anyway - nothing to lose really.

Seems a shame that because a manager might lose bonus points they effectively remove the customers rights.
That seems wrong to me on two areas, it's not his/her fault if goods are faulty so why should they have to lose points , and to allow that scheme to affect a customers rights with a legitimately faulty item is totally wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017