PC World: caveat emptor.

Jim Thing 14:55 06 Nov 2009

Yesterday I bought an external HDD caddy from my local branch of PC World. When I got it home and unpacked it, I found that the contents of the box included a 12V power brick, the output cable of which had clearly been uncoiled and stuffed back untidily in the box.

Suspicions aroused, I looked the thing over carefully and discovered that (a) the 4-pin power connector on the caddy was nothing like the usual power-brick connector on the end of the cable and (b) the caddy's specified input voltage was not 12Vdc but 5Vdc. Clearly some earlier purchaser had returned the caddy, with the wrong power brick, and some clown at PC World had put it back into stock.

I promptly drove the six or seven miles back to the shop — where, just to make my day complete, I was told that they couldn't exchange the thing as they had no more stock. I was also told that the manager wasn't available, so I took the refund, left the shop, and won't be back.

Moral of story: when buying from PC World, insist that the sales assistant opens the box and checks the contents before you leave the building.

190119 17:18 06 Nov 2009

Some odd things happening at my local PC World these days.

I went to purchase a new monitor for my pc and had more or less decided what I wanted. At PC World they had my chosen monitor on display so I asked an assistant if he would sort me out with one. " That's the only one we have sir" I was told,

Me "So how much is that one then"

Assistant "Same price sir"

Me, having just noticed the sticker on the back denoting a returned and repaired item, " You're not serious surely"

Assistant "I can ask the manager for you but I know what the answer will be"

So, having decided I was not paying full price for a returned/repaired/display item I asked what other monitors he could offer me he told me that the only ones they had were the ones on display, and there were not many of those either so I made my excuses and left.

I don't know if it is just my local store but there does seem to be very little stock these days other than furniture or rucksacks, they sure have lots of them.

spuds 18:34 06 Nov 2009

I was told "Never ever purchase an item with a 'tampered' box, its most likely a customer returns, and just been placed back on the shelf". And that was from a couple of assistants that I knew who use to work at PCW.

Mike D 18:42 06 Nov 2009

Your'e not alone. I went into our local PCW a few weeks ago and half of the store was partioned off for refurbishment (this is a fairly new store) and so very little stock was on display. The assistant said that after the refurb all the stock would be on display. Well it is finished and the stock is out on the shop floor, but it's more like a poor man's MFI flat pack furniture store with a very sparse selection of technology.

Pauldunstan 22:30 06 Nov 2009

I've long felt that DSGi is likely to follow Woollies. Aren't they having problems obtaining credit insurance?

anthonystorey 01:06 07 Nov 2009

i dont think you can blame pc world for this one -
person returns item, somebody checks contents (they are all there) puts it back on shelf. If you had checked the caddy before you had bought it, would you have looked at the power rating and see if the supply would fit the caddy? - i wouldnt (like most people they would just assume)
it would be nice to know if its back on the shelf!

interzone55 15:31 07 Nov 2009

One of the branch staff at the company I work for accepted some software back off a customer (not something they should do without my approval, but rules are made to be broken), this isn't some cheap game or anything, but advanced CCTV surveillance software costing almost £10k.

When the disk worked it's way through our returns system the item the customer had actually returned was the install CD supplied with one of his cameras, worth about 50p.

Luckily I have good contacts with the software company so I managed to lock the guy's licence to prevent him using it, but if I hadn't checked the CD when it arrived back at head office we'd have been £10k out of pocket when we next tried to sell that product...

Jim Thing 21:48 07 Nov 2009

anthonystorey:
"it would be nice to know if its back on the shelf!"
I'm going back on Monday to have a friendly chat with the manager. I'll check the shelf and report back.

alan14:
Aye, no doubt businesses have to be constantly on the lookout for rogues. What's the Latin for 'seller beware?'

ajm 11:17 08 Nov 2009

what software was it that costs £10k. I have never seen one on the store shelves whilst in the empoyment of PC World

Pine Man 11:42 08 Nov 2009

Your answer is in his heading;-)

ajm 11:55 08 Nov 2009

let me re-phrase it : what was the name of the software that costs £10k. I gave not come across such software costing that much in the store - the most expensive software held in the store being a sage line 50 product costing a pennny under £1K.

I have on a a couple of time sold Autocad products and licences to a businesses and each time the licensing dept called the customer to confirm that the software was what they wanted and was compatible with their hadrware/equipment and made it clear that no refunds would be forthcoming once the software was opened. if there was a problem after opening and using the software,only time a refund was due was once Autocad had given their autorisation to accept the product or send it back to them for a refund.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017