PC World

jaraba 15:53 20 Jan 2009

just had a wander round my local PCW and looking at phones nearly all of them are marked "out of stock".
I know its primarily a pc store but is this going to start happening to other merchandise & is this the 1st step down the path to closure?

interzone55 16:13 20 Jan 2009

Dixons and now Currys were the same when it came to phones, as are Asda & Tesco.

If you want a phone got to a phone shop, where they'll have the latest range of phones and price plans.

oresome 16:26 20 Jan 2009

Is this going to happen to other merchandise........Yes

Is this the first step to closure..........Not necessarily, but anything is possible.

Lower consumer demand and restrictions on credit insurance are forcing retailers to reduce stock levels.

jaraba 16:50 20 Jan 2009

Wasn't really looking for phone, but as they had just "reorganised" the store came across the phone section whilst looking for prices on other things

laurie53 20:05 20 Jan 2009

Stock is just money not earning interest.

Retailers can't afford to leave money just lying around doing nothing.

oresome 20:58 20 Jan 2009

"Stock is just money not earning interest."

You mean just like leaving it in the bank!

Sorry, I digress.

malgall 21:20 24 Jan 2009

i agree with laurie53
shops will keep stock level low to save money

DrATty 14:06 25 Jan 2009

I noticed this in my local PCWs. Some displays were empty, others were full but there were limited items actually in stock anywhere. Even orders made through Collect @ Store couldn't be fulfilled in my experience. The sales staff tried to sell me something else which wasn't really suitable at all; 15" laptop v 10" netbook. Surely PCW need a wide range of stock in order to function?

oresome 14:46 25 Jan 2009

Manufacturers supply goods to the retailer, then invoice the retailer and then get paid for the goods supplied. This process can take 3 months.

The manufacturer insures the risk of supplying goods with a default in payment. The insurers are now becoming unwilling to offer this insurance in the light of the number of failed retailers.

Manufacturers will therefore limit their exposure to risk by supplying less goods before payment is received.

This scenario seems to have happened at Empire Direct where they ran out of stock.

Condom 06:28 26 Jan 2009

Most display phones are normally blanks with no innards so there should not be a problem for any store seriously interested in selling phones.

It seems to me that the mass public are more interested in what a phone looks like than all the things it can do. Lets me honest most non business users only want it to phone, text or take the odd picture or two.

Finding anyone in these stores that know anything about most of the phones on display would be like finding Martians on the moon.

If you want a phone or want to know what it can do go to a dedicated phone shop.

jaraba 14:31 26 Jan 2009

As I said earlier I wasn,t looking for a phone just wandering around store.

Oresome Said:-
"The manufacturer insures the risk of supplying goods with a default in payment. The insurers are now becoming unwilling to offer this insurance in the light of the number of failed retailers."

If this is the case here does it mean that DSG are now considered a insurance risk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?