PC WORLD

Hrosir 19:51 04 Jul 2005

I have an HP Business Injet 1100 printer which was purchased from PC world on the 2nd of August last year. For no apparent reason, the printer refused to initialize on power up and made a series of grating noises which appeared to come from the carriage arm.I tried the simplistic approach and uninstalled the relevant software and drivers then re installed them. No improvement. Both indicator lights kept flashing indicating that a paper problem may be the cause. Oh well, I'll take it back under warranty and get back to work. No such luck; PC World gave the following reason for not attempting to help. 'We don't have a power adapter for this model and you haven't brought it or the software with you. Get in touch with HP and they will arrange a collection under the warranty'
In the end I took it to an independent repairer and had it fixed in two days as a result of a faulty paper feed sensor. Where do we stand when the warranty is getting ready to expire?

wee eddie 20:19 04 Jul 2005

Documentation and all, including the packaging.

If the answer is "Yes", then you have a legitimate gripe.

If the answer is "No", and it appears that you didn't and your guess as to the problem may have been wrong anyway.

What did you expect of them? Give you another printer, on the basis of an unprovable story.

Pooke 21:31 04 Jul 2005

1.You didn't brong all the necessaries (things you got with the printer, cables etc with you) so I am not surprised they suggested contact the manufacturer.

2. You got it repaired by an independant repairer, I think that renders your warranty as void.

Pooke

24bitkid 22:01 04 Jul 2005

I had an argument at PC World regarding an HP inkjet cartridge that was purchased recently from one of their stores and refused to work properly.

Spotty nose kid in customer services tried to fob me off with various excuses until I stood my ground and demanded a replacement.

They duly obliged, but I don't like the company's ethos at all. They think customers know nothing.

bfoc 22:13 04 Jul 2005

Whilst it can be sometimes useful to deal with the manufacturer it is the retailer who is responsible under consumer law.

Also since it is over 6 months since the item was purchased there would not be a 'presumption' that the fault was there at purchase.

I would certainly have been tempted to contact HP to see what possible solutions they might offer.

wee eddie 22:27 04 Jul 2005

The other half are trying it on!

No - seriously.

PCW have their moments of crass insensitivity and in-house disasters, but also:

They get a load of smart-asses trying it on, a number of complete incompetents who have cocked their systems up themselves, and a few genuine complainants with real faults.

A shop assistant who has just spent a considerable amount of time with one of the first two, may sometimes fail to recognize the third variety.

There have been times when I have been ready to apologies for the behavior of a fellow customer because their attitude was so aggressive

Hrosir 22:39 04 Jul 2005

It was this attitude of 'we havent got a power lead' that annoyed me. A bit like going into Halfords and being told that they dont have a spanner to take the wheel off the car. My problem was with the printer after all, not the box it came in! I expect that a bit of courtesy and consideration should be given when asking a civil question

Belatucadrus 23:46 04 Jul 2005

"A bit like going into Halfords and being told that they don't have a spanner to take the wheel off the car."

Not really, a spanner is a maintenance tool. The power cable and it's transformer is an integral part of the printer. Did you expect them to carry spares for every model of printer they've ever sold ?
Without a power supply and drivers their service people aren't going to be able to even check it out, either to try and fix it, or verify the validity of a warranty claim.

PC World aren't my favourite store, I've found the whole gamut of sales assistants there, from the knowledgeable helpful type to the useless Herbert who finds customers sooo inconvenient. But in this case don't see they had many options.

helmetshine 09:16 05 Jul 2005

As has already been said altho it's the retailer not the manufacturer who is responsible according to the law it is quite often better to deal direct with the manufacturer,monitors being a case in point,as they very often just replace the faulty machine.
You don't say whether you did contact HP or not.....if you didn't is there a reason because it's quite possible they would have replaced it for you.

Danoh 01:15 06 Jul 2005

I still have a perfectly working HP printer which was replaced by HP when I contacted them directly, years ago.

If I remember correctly, the symptoms and cause was similar to yours. HP advised to keep the printer covered and to clear out paper dust periodically as that tends to mess up the sensors (mine uses a transparent plastic "band" with fine vertical lines etched onto it).

Thos 15:00 06 Jul 2005

I had exactly the same experience as Danoh. I rang HP to talk about a problem with a new printer. They immediately sent me a new one and took back the old one.

Thos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?