PC Upgrade Advice

CarLo22 15:49 02 Aug 2013

Long story short, my problem is that my computer has been getting noticeably slower recently, and as i am going to have to use it quite intensively in the coming months, I've decided to upgrade it. I am planning to replace my fan, hard disc and to invest in more RAM, but really i just wanted to get it running smoothly again. The problem is that i don't know much about computer components and the sheer number of options out there make it impossible to figure out what to go for.

I have already purchased a Samsung 840 series SSD (250gb), but any advice regarding other components would be much appreciated - I'm going to need at least 16gb of RAM.

I should add, my PC currently has an I7 950 Intel processor, ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D-E (LGA1366) motherboard and Windows 8 ios.

Lastly, a friend of mine has recommended that i replace my CPU with an Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 because my CPU tends to sit in the mid 70 celsius range. Does anybody have any advice/recommendations they could throw my way?

The Kestrel 16:43 04 Aug 2013

The temperature problem could simply be due to an accumulation of dust inside your PC. A good internal spring clean to remove any dust, especially from fans and cooling vents may well solve the problem

The lowness of your PC could be due to an accumulation of unwanted files on your PC. Many forum users recommend CCleaner from click here Try downloading and running this free program before investing money upgrading your CPU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires