PC Selling Security Advice

sneekas-jestas 21:57 20 Feb 2008

Hi there,

I'm immigrating across the pond in just a few short weeks, and as a result am selling my desktop computer. I've found someone to buy it, but am concerned/paranoid that they may be some kind of computer wizz who is able to get into all of my previously deleted files and commit some kind of fraud.

Other than me just formatting my hard drive, is there some way I can be certain this kind of thing won't happen? I'm obviously going to do a good job of getting rid of all the stuff I know of, like My Documents, and my Internet browsing history, but is there any other place I should be looking to erase?

mikeben121 22:16 20 Feb 2008

There are industrial strength erasers out there. They overwrite the space with different characters so that the original stuff cannot be recovered. McAfee do one but i can't think what its called. Look for Safe Erase type packages. They sometimes come on cover CDs

peter99co 22:22 20 Feb 2008

Take out the harddrive and take it with you.

Forum Editor 22:53 20 Feb 2008

before you part with the machine you can be reasonably sure that no harm will come from it. The average person isn't going to be a) interested in recovering your files or b) capable of doing it anyway.

crosstrainer 08:02 21 Feb 2008

Is right....If you perform a full format by booting the pc from the windows cd and then from a command prompt enter:

format c: /u

This will render your data useless to all but somone with a very high level of data recovery expertise, and a lot of very expensive software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?