PC performance optimisers

shaneoneill 18:21 06 Jun 2006

Hi,

Can anyone out there reccomend a good PC Performance Enhancer. Recenltly I have been getting a lot of crashed and general sluggishness even though I have bought more memory. A lot of sites claim to have the ideal software (eg WINROCKET click here )
This sounds like an ideal move to make but if its that good why doesnt everyone know and use it! .. any suggestions are appreciated.

Rgds,
Shane

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:26 06 Jun 2006

click here Ccleaner, free and excellent. Delete all it finds.

RegscrubXP.....click here delete all it finds, both free and superb.

ade.h 19:42 06 Jun 2006

There's no golden solution for a PC that crashes a lot and malfunctions frequently, other than installing the OS afresh. Which I do once every 12 to 18 months or so, if it could benefit from it.

Any software devco that claims otherwise is having you on for their own gain.

Stick with decent cleaners like the above suggestions and beware of malware, crapware, etc.

mole44 20:07 06 Jun 2006

if you do a reinstall,get norton ghost and do a back up,then a reinstall will be quich and easy to do anytime.

shaneoneill 23:31 06 Jun 2006

interesting tha, Mole - if I reinstall the OS will i lose all my programmes?

I installed CCleaner tonight and i am still crashing but it did allow me to clear out a lot of junk like programmes that start when I start windows.

shaneoneill 00:00 07 Jun 2006

Gandalf,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried Regscrub - its detecting errors but crashing mid repair.

It seems to me as though theres a problem with the system when its memroy is under strain. I'm a photographer who uses a large files .. I find if I have several programmes running at a time it just gives up on me! Very frustrating!

Any inclining as to what the problem might be?

Rgds,
Shane

GaT7 01:29 07 Jun 2006

With all your problems I would also suggest to reinstall & start afresh. You will lose all your data, programs, settings, emails, etc., so BACKUP before you do (you could also try a repair-install click here, but I would go for a fresh install).

If not already done, I would partition the drive(s) too. Some install/partition info you may find helpful click here, click here, click here, click here.

More optimisation tips when things are working well at this thread click here. Good luck, G

GaT7 01:30 07 Jun 2006

Don't waste your time on programs like WinRocket - total waste of time & money IMHO. G

spuds 09:22 07 Jun 2006

As others have suggested, go for the free 'clean-up' programmes available on the internet. If you want to try things like WinRocket or similar programmes, then try a free download trial version first, but you will find that most of these programmes 'find' things, which can only be removed by making a purchase?. Don't bother.

If your computer is in a complete mess, then back-up on disk important parts that you want to retain for later use, then do a complete re-install of your system.

If you suspect memory failure, then there are programmes freely available for conducting certain tests. Not sure whether Crucial provides one of these programmes, but possible Microsoft MemTest may do the job!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017