PC Buying Advice

Steve A 16:36 30 Aug 2010

Hello,

My parents are looking to get a new PC. They asked me to have a look at whats available as I know more about them than they do, but I'm no expert. They don't really want to spend more than about £380 and they'll need a full package, ie PC, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse.

We've seen the one below, which looks to meet their needs.
click here

The offer is on until close of business Wednesday, so I'm now trying to see if there is anything better that they could get.

When I've been on this site in the past the advice has been excellent so I thought it would be worthwhile coming on here and seeing if you could offer me any advice on better offers that are out there.

Thanks

wee eddie 17:33 30 Aug 2010

that they already have a Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Printer and maybe other peripherals.

There are 2 possibilities here.

1. As they already have a Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse, you could probably save them about £120 by not replacing those items.

2. If they have had the Printer and other peripherals, for several years, they may not be compatible with "Windows 7" and will need to be replaced as well. Even things normal like Digital Cameras can fall foul of this problem.

Another solution would be to Give the old PC a spring clean (CCleaner, Defrag, etc), and them give it more RAM, replace the "On-board" Graphics with a Card, and possibly, buy them a really Top of the Range Monitor (say 22" or even a 24" one).

After all, if they are running XP, it is good until late in 2014 with SP3.

Possibly not as exciting as a "New" PC but I've just bought a Samsung P2450 and hidden my old XP, Beige Box, well out of sight and it's almost as good as a new one.

The Kestrel 10:01 31 Aug 2010

Looks a decent deal at that price as long as your parents are not into heavy gaming. It will certainly be capable of the usual PC uses, internet, email, word processing, digital photography etc. One thing you might consider is increasing the RAM to 4 Gb in the future, as 2Gb is probably the least amount required for Windows 7 and modern programs now.

Steve A 10:51 31 Aug 2010

Thought it looked a good deal. I did think that the RAM could want increasing, but even 2Gb will be notably quicker that their current setup (512Mb). I suggested to them that they should just use it and if they felt it could do with being given a speed bump then a RAM upgrade could be made.

wee eddie 14:36 31 Aug 2010

even when the product that they are planning to replace is quite adequate for their current needs.

Psychological thing, if this is it, then you need to steer them toward the bits that will give them a superior Computer experience.

RAM should be easy ~ Get them to watch a couple of YouTube Videos showing how it is done and then go Crucial, click here

Remember that RAM goes the same speed as the slowest, so get 2 x 1GB and ditch the old stuff ~ It'll just hold the PC back!

Then offer to sit by your Father, holding his hand, as he does the business and fits it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone