PC advisors nettripper July edition

aine 18:32 12 May 2008

I tried the above today, beware! my pc gave itself a headache I believe. Programs came on the desktop uninvited, a thing called interconnect services, kept popping on the screen, the pc slowed down. I have uninstalled it and everything is back to normal (cross fingers).I suggest you look carefully at this program,it may be my setup who knows. aine

aine 18:34 12 May 2008

Should read nettrooper, forgive the error

pj123 15:35 13 May 2008

Haven't opened mine yet. But I never install anything from the Cover DVD.

pj123 18:15 13 May 2008

Just now opened my July edition.

I see that NetTrooper is listed under "From the Magazine" What does that mean and what is NetTrooper?

There doesn't seem to be any explanation of what this is and what it does?

Again, I have to say I would never install anything from the cover disc.

Forum Editor 19:06 13 May 2008

"I have to say I would never install anything from the cover disc."

Why not?

aine 19:19 13 May 2008

It is for network security. page154. Go to this page and all will be revealed.

RickyC :-) 11:37 14 May 2008

pj123 has been saying that he never installs anything from the cover disc for the past 7 years - if memory serves, pj123's explanation was that it's all rubbish.

'From the Magazine' means the software has come... 'from the magazine'. With the exception of the main full and trial programs (which have a full page within the interface), all of the other applications on the disc come from editorial features within the magazine.

The software has either been referred to in a workshop or 'how-to', or has a review in the magazine. The software on the disc is grouped into folders (on the disc) or pages (within the PDF interface) which refer to the relevant editorial features. If you're ever unsure of what a program is, or how it may affect your system - please check the name of the feature and you should be able to find a reference to the program in the magazine. There are also links within the PDF interface so that you can go online to learn more about a particular application does before you attempt to install.

aine - did you re-install NetTrooper? Was it able to assist you in the ways mentioned within the How to Security feature?

regards

Richard

pj123 12:19 14 May 2008

FE, I guess because I am a Taurean. Stubborn and obstinate.

I did install some software a very long time ago when cover disks were "floppies".

It caused so many problems on my, then based, DOS/Win 3.1 computer that I vowed never again to install from cover discs.

I also had the same problem in the 1970s with a small photographic shop (which is now, apparently, one of the biggest PC shops in the country). They upset me then and I have never been in to any of their shops since.

Software Ed, Richard I promise I won't say it any more.

aine 17:40 14 May 2008

I did not try to reinstall the program, the system is working so well that I decided that it would not be worth messing it up. The security of our little network, (the wife and myself) has been okay now for 3 years,I decided not to mess with it.

pj123 17:49 14 May 2008

aine, good for you.

Forum Editor 22:21 14 May 2008

I'm a Taurean myself, but I'm afraid I don't believe that my star sign has the remotest bearing on my character.

Neither do I work on the principle that because something didn't work out many years ago it means it will never work out again - that sort of thinking has no logic behind it either.

As for shunning a business because someone upset me 30 years ago - well let's say I'm lost for words (for a change) and leave it at that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone