PC Advisor subscription

Epoc 16:44 24 Oct 2003

Ok, so my maths isn't great, in fact I only just got through GCSE so it might just be me, but the cost of subscription doesn't make any sense to me; £19.99 for 1/2 a year or £39.99 for a full year. So this means you have to pay 1p extra for a full year over getting two half year subscriptions. Why? Isn't it cheaper, in terms of less admin, for a full years subscription? I know this might seem a bit trivial but was intrigued by it.

oresome 18:53 24 Oct 2003

Retailers have always favoured the £xx.99 pricing. It has little to do with the cost of the goods plus a profit margin. Rather it looks more attractive than rounding the price up a penny or coming up with some other intermediate figure.
You could always bank 6 months subscription and get around 40p interest,giving you 41p to play with, but the subscription price may rise in the meantime.

I know most magazines prefer subscriptions as they then know how much money has come in. There is another side to the coin. I always buy my magazines from the local corner shop cum newsagent.They need a lot of support in the face of the growth of supermarkets who moved from selling groceries, to also stocking newspapers and petrol, and anything else they could get their greedy hands on. When corner shops no longer exist, then supermarkets will have a monopoly on almost all retail trade, and will stock and charge what they want, to the detriment of the consumer.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:24 24 Oct 2003

I think you may find that the difference is due to the rounding up or rounding down of VAT.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017