PC Advisor

TC 11:28 04 Nov 2006

It's a real wind up taht after typing for ages, twice now when I hit submit, the page just vanishes and I can see that I am no longer logged in.
So, I will type in a WP first, as PC adviser forums seems to log me off before I finish.

TC

Forum Editor 11:43 04 Nov 2006

but I assure you it's nothing to do with our site.

It is annoying when you lose a whole slab of carefully-typed text, and many people use the method you describe.

TC 11:50 04 Nov 2006

Of course you would say that, I go on to loads of forums, this is the only one that logs me off before I finish typing.

The same if I am at home or at work. If I use firefox or IE.

It seems to time out.

I know that when I get though to Sky the will tell me their system is running fine.
So why are no pages loading in IE or Firefox.
Yes I am logged on.

TC

TC 12:11 04 Nov 2006

You know, I just remembered, not that it has anything to do with the above, but my first PC advisor, I think was given to me free, at the Windows 95 show. Earls court or Olympia.
If I got that right, I must have been reading PC advisor for over ten years.
I could have this wrong, as I used to go to lots of exhibitions.

Oh Ya, there was no where to sit down and Apple were showing how much faster their power PC was than a Pentium 100.

TC

Forum Editor 12:22 04 Nov 2006

Don't be so rude. I say that because it's true. Thousands of people login to our site each day, and they don't get logged out each time they click the submit button.

I'm not sure what your second post has to do with the problem at all.

If you want to stay logged in to the site, so you don't have to enter your details each time, click on your username at top left, once you're logged in. That wll take you to a page with your details on it, and you can select an option to stay logged in.

wee eddie 12:23 04 Nov 2006

Very annoying. It's happened to me before.

Unfortunately, the only person to blame was myself. Initially I thought it was the site but no such luck.

tonyq 12:40 04 Nov 2006

Hi TC,
I use to have your problem,but to overcome this I had to do as the Forum Editor suggested,i.e stay logged on to the site(see below).

If you want to stay logged in to the site, so you don't have to enter your details each time, click on your user name at top left, once you're logged in. That will take you to a page with your details on it, and you can select an option to stay logged in.

TC 20:09 04 Nov 2006

I don't think that was rude at all.
Some people have come up with good advice, rather that just, not the site.

The bit after my query has nothing to do with the above, it's just chatting because I am not rude.

TC

rick90 20:57 04 Nov 2006

I to used to be cut off just as I was about to punch post response key very annoying,but that was pre-broadband days.Since going broadband have not had this problem.;-]

TC 21:26 04 Nov 2006

My wife was standing behind me wanting to get into paypal so I had to get off the computer.

I just checked 15 other forums I am a member of, they are set up by default to stay logged on, most do not even have this option, you stay logged on until you log off.

So surely and trying very hard to make sure that I am not being rude, it is the site, if it is set up by default to log people off, as by selecting to stay logged on, which I have now done, it will not log me off.

So your comment it’s not the site, would appear to be wrong, as now the site will not log me off due to the change made within the site, I have to assume there is nothing I could have done to my computer etc to achieve this same effect outside the site.

I am not trying to apportion blame, my first post was not a complaint about the site, just letting off steam after ages typing and hoping that someone would give me the answer.

Unless I am really missing some thing, your first answer should have been you need to change a setting by clicking on your name and making a change in the profile.

“I'm not sure what your second post has to do with the problem at all”

Now that is rude, I was just being friendly indicating that I have been buying PC adviser for over ten years, but you were dismissive of this fact.
Subscribers don’t matter.

To finish, if you still think I was rude, then I apologise.

TC

wee eddie 21:34 04 Nov 2006

That someone is trying to conceal their trail by deleting Cookies!

That may be your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?