PayPal - Sellers beware

xania 19:46 11 Nov 2009

PayPal now provide a facility for allowing sellers to print off address labels with postage paid. A great idea until you look into the detail. If you want parcelpost or more expensive means then fine, but don't post smaller items - you will get a shock!

I recently sold an item which was quite small (78 grams) but Paypal's minimum charge for this item was a massive ££4.41 parcel post whereas Post Office actually chaged me £1.28 to send the item by package post or 75p letter post (all figures 2nd class).

I did advise PayPal of this problem, but their only reaction was to simply explain how to print off the label. Further probing did finally elicit the solution - you don't have to use Payal.

Don't worry - I wont!!

spuds 22:43 11 Nov 2009

I receive many items (mainly dvd's)per week from eBay sellers using the PayPal postal method, but at the same time some people use the system provided by Royal Mail on-line or normal post methods.

One thing that niggles me the most, is when the seller doesn't provide sufficient postage, and the Royal Mail slap on a surcharge, for the buyer to pay, before receiving the item. No point in sending the item back, because most sellers do not supply a returns address, and that then leaves the buyer to perhaps try and get some recompense from the seller, which isn't always possible.

xania 11:49 12 Nov 2009

Yes - that is a potential problem especially where the seller pays P&P and under-estimates, but you can complain via PayPal and get something back AND give negative feedback if you feel strongly enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?