PayPal issue- is this real?

jack 10:29 13 May 2009

Pasted below is part of a text purporting to come from PayPal.
I did many years ago attempt to sign up- but it proved to be so tiresome that I gave up and never used the facility,So I question the veracity of this particular mail.
However I did make a purchase over the weekend through Amazon Market place, and my Credit Card security phoned me yesterday over that Amazon purchase [On the Ball them then]
So what do you think- is it a spoof or have I resurrected something from the past?

Here is part of the E-mail

-------------

Information Regarding Your account:
Dear PayPal Member:

Attention! Your PayPal account has been limited!

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

Our system detected unusual charges to a credit card linked to your PayPal account.

Reference Number: PP-259-187-991

This is the Last reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

oldbeefer2 10:34 13 May 2009

The scams usually provide a link within their email to the bogus site. This one is asking you to log into paypal in the normal way (or seems to, from the text you've provided), so should be OK (if you need to set up an account).

jack 11:35 13 May 2009

and my protection came up with
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

Soooo- god job I asked me thinks

bjh 11:52 13 May 2009

This is one of the ways in which mass-mailed spam can have a real effect. You associated the chance arrival of the email with an Amazon purchase: not exactly unreasonable, but a bit of a stretch, so you sensibly questioned it. Some would not.

No doubt there were hundreds - maybe thousands - of identical emails sent out. No doubt some of the recipients had just carried out a PayPal transaction. One or two may have noted an "odd" transaction on their account (actually one they'd made, but simply forgotten about).

As oldbeefer2 suggests; never click on the email link, trundle slowly there via the old way - type the address you know is for your account, and save yourself from being ripped off.

wee eddie 11:56 13 May 2009

It would have been addressed to you using your PayPal Login Name.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:00 13 May 2009

If you are in any doubt about a message claiming to be from Paypal or eBay, forward it to:

[email protected] or [email protected]

They soon reply with a confirmation, one way or the other.

jack 13:18 13 May 2009

I used your link and below is the reply
Well Done

From PayPal

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
[email protected], you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.

Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.

Thanks,

PayPal

This email is sent to you by the contracting entity to your User
Agreement, either PayPal Ince, PayPal Pte. Ltd or PayPal (Europe) S.à
r.l. & Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par

Actions, Registered Office:
5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118

Original Message Follows:
------------------------r

This is in my E-mail to day
I have not responded not intend to as I do not have an Active account-
as far as I am aware
However an Amazon market places order was placed this the 11th could it

have triggered something from the past?

jack 16:02 13 May 2009

"You associated the chance arrival of the email with an Amazon purchase: not exactly unreasonable, but a bit of a stretch, so you sensibly questioned it. Some would not."

Not so much of a stretch it would appear.
From what I recall- setting up a PayPal account involved small sums being credited to the submitted card- to verify it veracity.
The call from the CC security list some transaction for less than a pound.

Talking to them to day it seems that Amazon do the same- check the card by making a small charge and crediting it back .
Is not PayPal owned by amazon or is it Google?
So the 'Scammer' it could inferred has some how a link into this activity.
Feasable?

bjh 17:28 13 May 2009

No, not really feasible. No spammer would realistically have access to this information. Amazon and genuine PayPal might well, but that is very different.

It's just one of "those things"... You are thinking of Uncle Henry, and the phone rings... "Uncle Henry here"... Spooky! You've just proved yourself psychic!

Actually, Uncle Henry thoughts might have popped in and out of your head all day thousands of times, and been instantly forgotten, as he's probably a bit of a bore. The call snaps a recent thought out of the maelstrom that is your mind, and re-enforces a conscious link that seems valid.

However, amongst the thousands of spam mails sent, some recipient WILL have just raised a dispute/spotted an odd transaction/tried to place a bid on Ebay... and they will have instant reason to have a reinforced belief that the email is valid!

jack 08:12 14 May 2009

Events that seem related but on careful consideration are probably not.
See click here

Yet what other cause can give a rational explanation ?

Certainly I have had no other Phishing event - ever - because primarily, I do not bank on line and only occasionally shop online.
I have had in the past mails from 'Banks' that I do not bank with- add to that the general principle is that the main Banks[at any rate] do not use E-mail as a general means of communication.
So the PayPal event I would consider no chance - something triggered it- and it can only be that one transaction in my view.

six-h 23:40 14 May 2009

jack:
I had exactly the same experience as you, worryingly though, it occurred the day after I had signed up to PayPal, also the mail was received by an address I had not associated to PayPal!!

I too forwarded it to them and received the same reply, but not before scareing myself by viewing my credit card account on line and finding a mistery £1 transaction.
(I understand these thieves generally test the card with a small transaction before hitting it big time!)
Phoning my Credit Card company in a panic, it was revealed that this was just a test "request" that PayPal do to validate the card is active. They don't in fact draw the cash.
A horrible series of coincidences!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017