Paying with PayPal on eBay

Ade_1 11:36 17 Jan 2009

Hi,

I am completely new to eBay and considering making a purchase on it, however, I want to pay via PayPal. I have had a scout around and don't seem able to find the answer to my question...

Do I need to have funds in my PayPal account or can I pay using my debit card through PayPal to pay the seller?

Sorry if this is a simple question!

Thanks in advance

Ade_1

spuds 12:49 17 Jan 2009

There is plenty of information on the Ebay/PayPal websites about setting up a PayPal account and making payments. But be warned,when setting-up a new account it isn't instant, as it may require verification, which could take a little time.

So if you propose to buy something this weekend or within the next few days, and you have no PayPal account, then you may have consider other alternatives.

If you already have a PayPal account, then you would have been given various options for payment. Two of these options would consist of payment from a direct debit or credit card account.

If you have no PayPal account, then you can pay via a cheque, postal order, cash or perhaps NoChex, if the seller agrees to this. Some sellers who are registered as a business, may accept payment over the phone. But by using these methods, you would have no safeguards or protection from eBay or PayPal.

Hope this helps.

PalaeoBill 12:50 17 Jan 2009

If you don't want to sell, then you just need to setup a credit card and your done.

But, you generally set up a paypal account with both a credit card and a bank account. When you sell anything on ebay, the funds go into your paypal account. This is use preferentially to pay for anything you buy on e-bay and if there are insufficient funds, they just charge your credit card. Then periodically any credit balance in your paypal account will be paid to your paypal account.

PalaeoBill 12:51 17 Jan 2009

Sorry typo, the last two words should be bank account not paypal account(obviously).

spuds 12:55 17 Jan 2009

Perhaps I should have also mentioned, that you do not need any funds in your PayPal account, providing PayPal have access to your debit or credit card details. This will enable PayPal to draw funds from these accounts, assuming that you have adequate funds available for the purchase, you wish to make.

If you are a regular seller, then PayPal will have access to incoming funds from any buyers.

Ade_1 13:08 17 Jan 2009

Thanks for the help guys.

I just didn't want to go and dive in at the deep end. I do already have a paypal account, however, I haven't verified it yet. I only intend to purchase using my debit card through paypal so I should be ok. I will verify it though as I intend on selling a few items in the near future.

I think I'll verify it first and then look at purchasing the item and see what comes up listing wise anyway at the time.

Thanks again!

Ade_1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?