Partition Magic broke my hd

JanetO 09:55 14 Jul 2009

I have a Dell Dimension 3100c. The hd is 80gb. I wanted to reduce the size of the one partition and insert another smaller partition in the then unallocated space to be able to dual boot with Linux. I gave the program all the instructions (no problems) and when it rebooted into DOS after a few seconds it gave an error message to say it couldn't continue. So I then tried to reboot into XP but the hd couldn't be found. I then tried all possible troubleshooting methods but still the hd wasn't found. I then spent one and a half hours troubelshooting with Dell tech support. Still no luck.

Has anyone else had probs with this program?

dagbladet 10:33 14 Jul 2009

I doubt that your hdd is actually broken in the 'hard' sense. Partition Magic will have been used sucesfully millions of times, and no doubt will have caused problems many, many times. Whether that's attributable to the software or user error is another matter. Try googling something like 'partition magic problem'. I'm sure there will be loads of stuff that may help.

JanetO 10:38 14 Jul 2009

Thanks dagbladet, but I've already done that and so far no joy.

xania 10:42 14 Jul 2009

I've worked with Partition Magic for more years than I can remember. There have been occasions when it has caused problems, but only where the drive was dodgy before hand. And I've never had PM knock out a HHD completely as seems to be the case here. I suspect that this was a pure coincidence and you drive failed as it was about to start running the PM batch file. By the way, was the message to say it couldn't continue a PMmessage or a DOS message?

You don't give a version number but your best bet is to contact Symantec and see if they can help. click here

Did you take a backup of the PartitionMagic data when you installed the product? I have not made contact since Symantec took over but in the early days they needed this information to help.

xania 10:46 14 Jul 2009

Just one other point about PM. Before it makes any changes to the HHD, it always checks the partition it is working on to see if there aer any errors. I get the impression that PM did not even start this process, so I very much doubt that PM was the fault. The way the latest veriosdn works is that it boots into DOS, then there is a countdown to allow you to abandom the batch and then it starts bu y opening a screen with 2/3 time bars one of which is for the entire batch and at least one for the task it is about to start - the first task is always checking the partition for errors. How far along this process did you PC get?

JanetO 11:00 14 Jul 2009

...I've worked with Partition Magic for more years than I can remember. There have been occasions when it has caused problems, but only where the drive was dodgy before hand. And I've never had PM knock out a HHD completely as seems to be the case here. I suspect that this was a pure coincidence and you drive failed as it was about to start running the PM batch file. By the way, was the message to say it couldn't continue a PMmessage or a DOS message?...

Usually there's some kind of warning signs when a hd is on it's way out. Not so in this case. I run an error check once a week.

The message was PM. The data was backed up so I only lost a few days work, not much. I managed to fix up another dell hd and get the pc working. Thanks.

xania 13:54 14 Jul 2009

Yes, I agree that 'there's some kind of warning signs when a hd is on it's way out' - usually, but not always. As my wife find out when she failed to back up and it cost her dearly!! Don't assumethat you will get a warning.

Anyhow, glad to hear your back up and running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?