ParcelFarce....

Stuartli 15:59 07 Oct 2004

Whilst posting in another thread last week in which praise was extended to a particular company, I praised a ParcelForce driver's initiative.

Early morning I had requested a parcel to be collected, via its online service, for 48-hour delivery to amazon's Milton Keynes returns department; the collection was due between 2-30pm and 5-15pm that day.

The ParcelForce driver involved had been in my area just about an hour-and-a-half later, seen the car in the drive and decided to check if anyone was in, with the sensible intention of possibly saving himself a return journey.

I was, had just finished the letter about the reason for the return, so he collected, stuck on the label and away he went.

Over the next 48 hours I tracked the parcel's progress online and was surprised to find out it had, apparently, been sent out for delivery little more than an hour before midnight the day after collection.

After that, nothing. No update as to delivery. So, on Monday, I e-mailed ParcelForce. No response. Sent another. No response.

By yesterday, I had got not only worried, but angry. Sent another e-mail, this time demanding that someone get their finger out and inform me that the parcel had been delivered.

Got a reply apologising and requesting contact phone number so parcel search team could investigate. No phone call all day yesterday, nor response to another e-mail asking why? Another e-mail was bounced back, along with repeated attempts.

First thing this morning I telephoned the Helpline. Hung on for 20 minutes and finally spoke to young lady. Seems same number covers for collections as well as acting as Helpline, hence long wait. Crackers.

Promised I would be contacted by parcel search department. No joy. Revert to a fax, demanding a response. No joy, until about an hour ago.

Pleasant lady comes on. Usual spin story but, after telling her to just forget the script, it eventually transpires parcel had been delivered - as part of a big batch of returns.

I point out that if the website had been updated all the nonsense of the last four days would never have happened. She agrees and says she will "highlight" it.

Seek compensation for phone calls, trouble and time involved. No joy. "We don't do compensation".

"Fair enough", I responded. "Then I don't use ParcelForce again - you've just lost all the goodwill built up with me over a number of years and all because of the failure to provide a response to a simple question."

No wonder so many feel obliged to call it ParcelFarce - sad, because this is the first time I've ever had any problems with them; more than can be said for some of its competitors....

Stuartli 16:41 07 Oct 2004

..an e-mail from a ParcelForce customer service individual apologising for the parcel "not having been delivered" and that she is looking into the matter urgently.

Seems like a case of not knowing what the right hand is doing from the left....:-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:18 07 Oct 2004

They made a mistake. You have used them successfully in the past. I feel it is a bit precocious to throw a tantrum over one error from many successes.

G

Forum Editor 17:51 07 Oct 2004

that to say "Then I don't use ParcelForce again" because they made one mistake - in itself not so terribly serious in my opinion - seems to be a wild overreaction. The more so because in your own words "this is the first time I've ever had any problems with them".

Everyone makes mistakes - I venture to suggest that you've probably made the odd one or two yourself - and perhaps when you've cooled down a little you'll reflect on all this and see it for what it really is - a bit of a mountain being made of a molehill.

Stuartli 18:33 07 Oct 2004

I would not doubt have expressed a similar view if someone else had posted the thread.

But the amount of time wasted has been quite considerable and I'm still b---dy angry...:-)

To make it even more annoying I was sending the parcel back on someone eles's behalf as they are out at work all day.....

Forum Editor 18:52 07 Oct 2004

I've been there myself.

Let the world take a turn, have a glass of whatever floats your boat. Come the morning it won't seem so bad. This time next week it will be a distant memory.

See? You're feeling better already.

spuds 19:16 07 Oct 2004

ParcelForce drivers are usually okay if left to their own means, but when 'the system' activate, everything can and usually goe's pearshape, a little like the Royal Mail.

I usually get those 'we tried to deliver, but you were out' cards.

MidgetMan 08:51 08 Oct 2004

Wait till you get an Amtrack driver who threatens to punch your face in because you will not sign for it without checking!!!!

Stuartli 09:02 08 Oct 2004

I'm a bit more relaxed now...:-) Must be something to do with Guinness.

Much of the frustration was caused by the fact that I'm on dialup, I use Tiscali's DayTime Plus service (i.e. 8am to 6pm) and, for a whole two days, I virtually had to give up surfing as I was informed I would receive a telephone call from ParcelForce.

I did find out one interest fact though when I e-mailed Tiscali yesterday regarding the bounced back e-mails I had sent to ParcelForce. This is part of Tiscali's reply:

"Regarding your query, unfortunately the reason why you cannot send e-mail to the domain 'parcelforce.co.uk ' is because Tiscali has been blacklisted.

"The term "blacklisted" means when a domain or an IP address has been blocked by another company.

"In this case, the owners of the domain 'parcelforce.co.uk ' via the SORBS DNS-based block list have blacklisted the Tiscali IP addresses within the Tiscali range from emailing their domains.

"In your case, the Tiscali IP address 212.74.114.40 has been blacklisted by SORBS.

"You can locate SORBS at the following URL:

click here

"For your information, we have contacted SORBS on several different occasions previously, requesting them to remove us from their blacklist. However they have not responded appropriately.

"Unfortunately, this website is not obliged to remove us from their blacklist as a privately owned site, therefore, we can only apply pressure on them by request. In the meantime you might want to possible try to visit the SORBS website yourself and make the same request."

I did notice that the bounced back e-mails included this in the header and referred Tiscali to this fact:

" [email protected]
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host mail3.consignia.com [144.87.143.83]: 554 Service unavailable; [212.74.114.38] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net, reason:
Spam Received See: click here"

Might be worth a PC Advisor editorial investigation.

byfordr 11:48 08 Oct 2004

click here

I remember my thread a while back on Parcel Farce. I had so much trouble with them after they closed the Shoreham office and moved operations to Redhill. Generally I try to avoid companies which use Parcel Farce, but on the times I have had them recently I haven't seen any improvement.

R

spuds 11:58 08 Oct 2004

One reason and positive way I suppose for not answering customers email.Get them SORBS'd.Something new all the time :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?