Panoramic paper 215x610mm for HP printers

jonmac 07:11 25 Oct 2006

Does anyone know of a source for HP panoramic paper 610mm x 215mm that is included in the printer specifications. I've tried searching but can't locate it so far. I've used Epson so far in an Epson printer but don't know how that would work with HP inks.

Stuartli 10:28 25 Oct 2006

I don't know if it is the size you require, but click here sells rolls of printer photograph paper.

I find that Epson paper works fine with other branded and compatible inks as, in fact, do most brands I've tried.

Stuartli 10:30 25 Oct 2006

Re the rolls of paper, I do mean that you cut the paper to the right size using either a trimmer or sharp Stanley type knife; if you could obtain one of the small knives of this type used in the newspaper industry it would be even better.

jonmac 12:05 25 Oct 2006

Thanks Stuartli. That's handy to know. I suppose the fact that HP include the panoramic size in their machines' capabilities would suggest that it might be OK to use other name-brand paper.
Just as a final confirmation, anyone out there with an HP printer care to try a print on Epson Photo Paper and tell me how it goes before I take the plunge and buy the printer?

Stuartli 14:06 25 Oct 2006

My Epson R300's Printer Preferences lists a wide range of paper sizes (and I suspect so do other Epson and similar top brand models), plus User Defined.

So, if you buy a roll of photo paper that's say, A4 width, you can use half the width and the length required for panoramic prints and User Define the printing size in millimetres.

jonmac 17:33 25 Oct 2006

My Epson is in a state of terminal decline and I'm tempted by some of the HPs I see, for their speed and their quietness but since I sell a few panoramas from time to time I've got to be sure I can still produce quality results albeit on a rival's panoramic paper if HP don't produce their own.

Diemmess 12:41 26 Oct 2006

While I do understand your reasons for posting this problem I think it will make no difference at a mid range level.
For ordinary prints with a photo quality colour printer, it would be difficult to distinguish between rival top name brands. I recently bought some Fuji paper when in a hurry and it seems just as good as Epson on a 875 printer.

Where it might make a difference is between special papers and printers where pigmented "fade-proof" inks and special papers are used.

jonmac 15:27 26 Oct 2006

Thanks Diemmess - My problem is that in the past, trying other products, I've occasionally come across paper (I forget whose make, maybe Ilford) which reacted adversely to Epson ink which built up on its surface so much that you could feel it under your fingers. It was like putting water on a waterproof surace too and it gave very poor results. I would hate to purchase the HP7160, which looks good, then find that its ink reacted adversely to the only source of 600x215mm paper i.e. Epson Panoramic.
So again, can anyone report on using the HP7160 and Epson paper before I take the plunge?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?