PAL NTSC TV

heepster 17:18 27 Dec 2003

Maybe a silly question. I have an NTSC format Sony camcorder. I have tried to play it back over my TV and it is unwatchable. Is there such a thing as PAL and NTSC tv`s, or should I be able to view it on any TV?

rickf 17:22 27 Dec 2003

Your tv is probably set to Pal that's why it won't play. Switch to NSTC through the menu if your TV has that capability.Surely, your camcorder can record in Pal fromat as well if you set it to that.

johnnyrocker 21:26 27 Dec 2003

what make of tv and how old?

johnny.

heepster 22:01 27 Dec 2003

Its a 28" Toshiba about 5 years old

johnnyrocker 22:16 27 Dec 2003

ntsc on pal tv's is a definate no no unless in either the scart settings or menu there is the facility to change it but that would presume you had what is known as a multi standard tv which i am sure you haven't, do you have a video and what type there may be a way round this there.

johnny.

heepster 22:20 27 Dec 2003

Video is also toshiba 5 years old.I dont see any facility to change TV or Video on the setup menus.

johnnyrocker 23:00 27 Dec 2003

most toshiba vcr will normally play ntsc with no prob but you will not be able to record/transfer tape set tv to vcr channel hook camcorder up (presumably with the phonos on the front) if it is the type iam thinking of and play camcorder vcr will auto select the system.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:48 27 Dec 2003

if it wont play direct straight through you migh need a vhs adaptor type cassette to put your cam one in but then no prob.

johnny.

DieSse 00:35 28 Dec 2003

"Is there such a thing as PAL and NTSC tv`s,"

Yes - you can get them.

"should I be able to view it on any TV" - not unless it's NTSC capable.

Or you could get a comverter, for example click here

Put PAL to NTSC converter into a Google search and you'll see others.

johnnyrocker 00:39 28 Dec 2003

the vcr will play it trust me.

johnny.

heepster 09:06 28 Dec 2003

Ok It works now,by playing through vcr, I was trying to do it direct to TV before. Many thanks Johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?