Packard Bell Plea

TheTerminator 13:48 01 May 2004

Right, I've installed my parents new computer - uninstalling the previous version of Win XP home (which came with the computer) and re-installed it with a legal version of Win XP Pro...
The problem is that I had a number of "question marked" devices in Device Manager - all but one have been installed by loading the drivers from the packard bell website.

I have one driver with a question mark next to it, and i have no idea what it is for... Is ther a way I can find out what it does (Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller) is all the info I have on it.

As ever, I;m sure someone out there knows the answer.

Thanks

Q-Bie 13:57 01 May 2004

Have you installed Service Pack 1? I know Pre-SP1 has limited support for USB 2 onboard hubs, I had the same problem with mine. I installed SP1 and ran through the driver wizard and it found drivers for the onboard USB.

q

TheTerminator 14:03 01 May 2004

Will feedback later

URRA 09:54 02 May 2004

I had difficulty downloading SP1 from Microsoft. If you can not download from the Microsoft, you can order the SP1 CD from them at no charge. You would need to have a close look on the SP1 download site for the info.

TheTerminator 10:50 02 May 2004

I still have not resolved this despite installing SP1. THerefore I will keep an eye on the PC until something happens and then see if i can work out what driver is needed.

Thanks

Q-Bie 12:14 02 May 2004

What model Packard Bell PC is it? As a PCW employee I can take a look on the Packard Bell Dealer support website and see if the USB drivers are available there.

q

TheTerminator 12:30 02 May 2004

click here

and the serial no is PA04082792

I hope this of some use..

Q-Bie 21:24 02 May 2004

Cheers,

I'll look it up tomorrow and post the relevant info here.

q

Q-Bie 08:40 03 May 2004

Right,

According to Docs the Mobo is an MSI Quasar (MS6786) with a Via KT400 chipset.

Download the Via Hyperion chipset drivers and USB drivers from...

click here

click here

That should sort it out...

q

TheTerminator 10:21 03 May 2004

I will give this a go and let you know how it works...

Thanks a bunch. I won't be able to do this for a week or two (I don;t trust my parents to do this...), but I will report how it works.

3 Cheer for PCW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?