Packard Bell.

rdave13 21:15 27 May 2006

My sisterinlaw was having problems with accessing the net, so I went round to help. Got it all fixed and noticed something peculiar. Can't remember the model but it only had an on/off switch at the front. It had no reset switch and no on/off switch at the rear. When I got the blue screen I had to remove the plug at the mains to restart. Is this normal with Packard Bell machines?

ayrmail 21:21 27 May 2006

Do not know if its normal, but if you push and hold the on/off switch at the front after a few seconds it should switch off the PC unless someone had changed that setting.

rdave13 21:26 27 May 2006

Did that and nothing. Just seems that the on/off switch missing on the PSU is strange.

Totally-braindead 22:52 27 May 2006

Rdave13 did you hold the button in? It has to be held in for a few seconds not just pressed.

Totally-braindead 22:54 27 May 2006

Oh and regarding the on/off switch being missing this is very common on cheaper power supplies, in fact most of the PCs I've seen do not have on/off switches on the power supplies.

rdave13 23:02 27 May 2006

Thanks for the reply. Yes I held in the button for more than a few seconds and maybe because of the blue screen nothing happened. The pc in question is just under a year old and cost £750 from PC World.

Totally-braindead 23:07 27 May 2006

The power supplies provided on branded PC usually do not have a seperate power switch. Switches cost money and if you're selling 1000s of PCs the pennies can add up.

rdave13 23:16 27 May 2006

Bought a PB pc in 1999 and a PSU switch was there. Bought two Tiny pc'c and swtich there aswell.Zoostorm recently bought and there as well and all had reset buttons. Just would like to know if this settup is the norm for Packard Bell pc's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone