Ouch!

tigertop2 23:16 14 Nov 2008

Having just looked at some of the prices for the new Intel x58 motherboards, associated Corei7 CPUs plus DDR3 Ram one needs to own a small country to afford an upgrade. Yes I know its the next stage of hardware progression but £800 to £1000 for these 3 components makes sure they are not going to be in my Xmas Stocking

AMD might just have a winning marketing strategy with their new Deneb CPU as quite a few existing AMD2+ boards can be upgraded with a new BIOS to accommodate the new quadcore CPU and run DDR3 as well. Just hope the new CPU is better than current Phenoms. At least one can stage expense on an upgrade with AMD

rdave13 00:48 15 Nov 2008

Depending what you want to use a 'Home Computer' for.
Video editing and scientific research whilst playing a recent game all at the same time then fair enough.
If you don't want to do these things at the same time then why worry?

GaT7 00:59 15 Nov 2008

"....but £800 to £1000 for these 3 components makes sure they are not going to be in my Xmas Stocking"

Would over £200 lower help to change your mind? ;-)

Intel i7 920 = £270

Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 = £206

3GB (3x1GB) CorsairXMS3, PC3-10666 = £106

Total = £582 (Prices from Scan btw)

I probably wouldn't even consider if they were a further £200 lower! But that's mainly because I don't have to have the latest technology today, being 2-3 years adrift most times - at times quite a bit further back. G

Joe R 01:10 15 Nov 2008

Crossbow7,

"But that's mainly because I don't have to have the latest technology today, being 2-3 years adrift most times - at times quite a bit further back. G"

Snap, I'm normally at least a year behind, when I start my latest.

tigertop2 11:41 15 Nov 2008

Overall there is a real lack of competition between Intel and AMD because the latter has fallen so far behind in CPU performance. My hope is that if the new Deneb processor is any good and can be allied to older motherboards it might be a better bet on cost even if it is slightly behind Intel performance wise. And yes, I do need the improvements if I can get them at a reasonable price. Should be an interesting few months ahead as upgraders make choices-and maybe we might get a fall in component prices on existing stock -but I would not bet on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone