OS back up

Kevscar1 10:36 13 Jul 2008

Got a new system on order with Vista installed coming soon. Last one was from Evesham and 3 months after I got it the harddrive failed. They came out an put an new in within 3 days. Of course being a moron and thinking nothing would got wrong that early I hadn't backed anything up so had to relicate all my business paperwork by hand. I back up everything up weekly now but there was also the problem of having no computer for 3 days.
Is there a progam which wiuld allow me to back-up the OS to my external HD and set the computer to boot from there if the internal harddrive fails.

Arnie 11:07 13 Jul 2008

Acronis True Image 11 should fit the bill.

click here

Arnie 11:19 13 Jul 2008

It seems the hyperlinks for the free trial do not activate.
The item can be bought here.

click here

spuds 11:20 13 Jul 2008

Yep, agree with Arnie. Good bit of software.

Kevscar1 14:26 13 Jul 2008

Funny US site comes up but not UK. Just been reading about Acronis on another post and it seems there can be problems with external HD's
Any other suggestions.

DieSse 14:34 13 Jul 2008

Macrium Reflect has a free version (not just a trial) which can image your complete drive as a backup.

You will also need to backup your data. Comodo Backup (also free) will do this for you.

Or, as above, you can buy Acronis True Image, which is more flexible.

Macrium Reflect you can also buy the all-inclusive version, which is similar to Acronis TI.

Kevscar1 14:36 13 Jul 2008

For backup data I just copy and paste to the external HD.

ronalddonald 14:57 13 Jul 2008

use a pen drive nad back up files that way and software if software is downladed from sites

DieSse 15:04 13 Jul 2008

"For backup data I just copy and paste to the external HD."

That's absolutely fine. The benefits of using a backup package are

You can spend some time sorting out the various things you need to backup (eg emails, address books, favorites, etc - as well as the obvious My Documents) - and you only have to do that once.

It can compress the data, to save space.

You can schedule it, so you don't forget.

You can just backup the changed data, not the whole lot again, if you wish.

Terry Brown 16:16 13 Jul 2008

Personally I use Nero 7 'Backitup' and do a full drive .I keep 3 copies and on the 4th copy I delete the first backup.
I have always found it reliable, and a couple of times it have saved me a lot of work.
Terry

Kevscar1 18:04 13 Jul 2008

But if my HD fails can I boot from the backup on the external drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?