Orangehome v BT

hugh144 22:08 31 Jul 2009

Hi
This has probably been asked many times before but I would still appreciate your views. I'm currently with Orangehome dial up broadband (previously Wanadoo, Freeserve etc etc). The monthly fee has risen this month from just under £15 pm to over £20pm (Orange did say that the speed would also increase - it hasn't). BT appear to have sent me details of a good offer with the BT Total Broadband package which includes the Home Hub. I appreciate that the monthly fee increases to just over £15 from month 4 and you are tied into a 18 month contract.

Any views / advice would be appreciated.

Si_L 23:12 31 Jul 2009

I am in the process of switching ISP's and found the best deal on O2 (which I took up) and Virgin. When I rang Tiscali to request a MAC, they started throwing new offers at me, so that is something to consider, I've no doubt Orange will do the same to try and keep your custom.

What speed are you currently meant to be getting from Orange?

RobCharles1981 00:08 01 Aug 2009

I personally would not touch BT Broadband with a Barge Pole I've read the reviews about them on DSLzone Ratings.

02 Is another brilliant ISP if you are an O2 Mobile Customer

What does Samknows (Link Below) say you can get your exchange? Post back the full results.

click here

Also from your Orange Livebox can you post your line stats up?

Instructions:

There is a page within the router GUI that displays the line stats. Click the link below.

click here

Click on the "Access to the configuration pages" link, then choose System Information from the menu on the left.

If you are prompted to login, the username is admin and the password is admin.

GaT7 00:24 01 Aug 2009

Another vote for O2 here click here.

It's better if you're an O2 mobile customer - £5 off your broadband bill each month - but even without that it's still one of the best deals out there.

They have a current offer of the first 2 months free.

Plus you can get £50 cashback (effectively another £3-4 off each month) if you go via Quidco click here. I received £25 when I joined more than a year ago. G

tullie 08:05 01 Aug 2009

Dident knoiw there was such a thing as dial up broadband?

laurie53 09:25 01 Aug 2009

I've just asked Orange for a MAC for this very reason (see my other thread).

While O2 would be my first choice I am a Pay As You Go customer and they require a monthly £10 top up.

Since I last did a £10 top up over eighteen months ago, and even on my landline don't make more than 3 calls a quarter, that is effectively an extra tenner on the monthly cost, which would simply just build up.

You do have to read the small print!

Pine Man 11:06 01 Aug 2009

I think you will find it's £10 every three months. That's what I do and I get the discount.

Si_L 12:16 01 Aug 2009

It is only a quartly £10 top up.

Si_L 12:18 01 Aug 2009

Hmm, make that quarterly...

laurie53 13:15 01 Aug 2009

Thanks for the correction.

Even quarterly still means that I am just building up credit to no useful purpose.

GaT7 15:20 01 Aug 2009

"Even quarterly still means that I am just building up credit to no useful purpose."

Yes, quarterly that's £40 mobile expenditure, but £60 broadband savings (12x £5).

So you're not only saving £20 overall, but getting £40 worth of mobile calls. Whether you use it or not is immaterial, as you'll still be saving £20 overall.

Another way of looking at it is like this: you're spending £40 but getting £60 in return, thus making £20 in the process (not to mention £40 worth of 'free' mobile calls).

Can't see what the problem is, as it's all in YOUR favour! They even send you an email & text every quarter to remind you to top-up to get the discount. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?