Opinions on simcards for a newbie to miobiles

rickf 18:39 18 Dec 2009

Incredible as it may seem to you I am a complete idiot when it comes to mobile phones. Feeling that I need to join the human race I have ordered an unlocked mobile arriving on Monday. I need to know if all simcards are the same or do they have different advantages over one another. I am after a pay-as-you-go simcard basically for calls, texts and accessing the internet. My phone is a Nokia 5530. Any info would be much appreciated.

bremner 19:37 18 Dec 2009

There are many deals out there.

We have a couple of T Mobile cards.

click here Pam Monthly

click here Pay as you go.

It will be your Internet requirement that will push up the price.

rickf 20:10 18 Dec 2009

I know this sounds very ignorant but do all sims have internet connection capability. I doknow the tariffs vary from one provider to another.Thanks

rickf 20:22 18 Dec 2009

BTW, the handset has wifi so I reckon I should be able to connect with any sim really??

interzone55 20:40 18 Dec 2009

It's not really the SIM, but the network you connect to that controls what you can do with the mobile.

Going online is often terribly expensive with PAYG tariffs, for instance my Tesco tariff charges by the MB.

If your handset is 3G take a look at 3, they give 150mb internet access with each top-up, if you're only checking email this should be fine.

click here

Terry Brown 20:43 18 Dec 2009

3 of the best options around at the moment are TESCO ASDA and VIRGIN, calls cost 8p per minute (so they claim)from Asda

I believe Tesco do a similar deal.

Virgin operates on slightly different system.

Calls to other VIrgin mobiles are free
All other calls First 5 minutes a day are 20p then the rest of the day is 5p.

This was correct when I last checked (about 2 weeks ago)
Terry

rickf 20:57 18 Dec 2009

Hi,
Thanks for all the info. It's a 2g phone with touchscreen. Tesco cards are quite cheap but I guess their tariff for internet access is very expensive. Guess Vurgin sounds reasonable. Any idea what connection is like.
T-mobile on payg charges £1 for the day so that's pretty good. but 25p on calls and 15p per message.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:36 19 Dec 2009

I believe that Tesco will give you £45 PAYG credit for £15, at least they do in Stroud.

G

Terry Brown 09:47 19 Dec 2009

If you want call charges similar to a land land--I very much doubt if you get it, but if you do, please let me know.
Terry

1832bchs 23:55 22 Dec 2009

tesco now do "unlimited" internet access for £2 a week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?