Opinions on this proposed setup please!

Paddlz 20:56 10 Dec 2008

Ok, well I'm sure I'm the 1,000,000th person on here to post something almost identical to this but it would be a great help if you'd take a moment just to stick your $0.02 in:

Basically; every time I turn this PC on it makes me cry inside so I'm gonna build a new one and give this one to some poor unsuspecting relative.. I've "decided" on most of it and was just planning to get some opinions and expert feedback before I go and fork out the £800 odd for it!

CPU - Intel Q6700: Fantastic CPU IMO doesn't look like I can go wrong with it, by far best CPU within my price range

MoBo - Asus Rampage II formula: Tried to fork out on a nice MoBo to allow for future upgrading of other parts and this one suited all my needs + read some very tasty reviews on it

GPU - nVidia 9800 GT: Nice and cheap with GTX+ and GX2 all the rage at the moment and not that far behind the latter in terms of performance

Memory - 2x2GB Corsair DDR2 1066 Mhz: Dirt cheap and does what it says on the tin - Good brand

Hard Drive - Maxtor 500 GB 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache: More than enough space and satisfactory in every other department

Ok, so what are your thoughts on that setup? I really like it, personally, and have researched it a lot but would still like your opinions!

Final question: I'm a bit stumped as far as a PSU goes, does anyone have any burning suggestions?

Thanks in advance all:
Olly

The Brigadier 12:07 11 Dec 2008

A DIY build will cost MORE than buying from a shop or an on-line retailer.
You have not added DVD/RW or Blue-Ray Drive/s?

Paddlz 16:21 11 Dec 2008

Thanks for the reply Brigadier,

Well, that's definitely not what I've found, from what I can see, there are no desktops around that meet my EXACT requirements and those that I have found have been well in excess of the price I've managed to find for my setup, with a lot of searching I seem to be paying around 10-25% under the RRP for most of the parts I'm ordering

Joe R 16:39 11 Dec 2008

Paddlz,

have a look here. You will be able to get a better CPU, (quad 9550 £1 extra) upgrade case and Psu, and leave you with a very good upgradable system.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?