Opera Browser Now Completely Free

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 10:30 20 Sep 2005

click here

"In what could be considered a very surprising move, and one that easily could shake the browser market, Opera has made it's award winning browser available to the masses for free, void of it's built in Advertisement Banner, giving people the choice of one of the most powerful, flexible and a very secure web browser.

Opera Software today permanently removed the ad banner and licensing fee from its award-winning Web browser. The ad-free, full-featured Opera browser is now available for download - completely free of charge – at click here.

"Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera browser."

Opera was previously available free of charge with an ad banner. Users had the option of paying a licensing fee to remove the ad banner and receive premium support.

"Opera fans around the globe made this day possible," said von Tetzchner. "As we grow our userbase, our mission and our promise remain steadfast: we will always offer the best Internet experience to our users - on any device. Today this mission gains new ground."

In contrast, seeing as how Opera made their browser available for a day on their 10th anniversary, some may have seen this move coming. Regardless, Being one of the fastest and the most standard compliant browser, Opera may well have opened a new chapter in the browser wars."

Pesala 12:09 20 Sep 2005

Download: click here

Changelog: click here

Ancient Learner 12:23 20 Sep 2005

I find this a puzzle. Just where are they going to get there finance from to continue , without the adverts/subs. They have presumably needed these sources of income so far, so how come they reckon they can do without them now.

Very odd!

I must mention that I have been a satisfied subscribing user of Opera for years, and I now worry that they will not have the resources to keep up their excellent standards.

GaT7 17:08 20 Sep 2005

Why we're going free? "Opera has removed the banners, found within our browser, and the licensing fee. Opera's growth, due to tremendous worldwide customer support, has made today's milestone an achievable goal." - from click here - makes one wish that more companies had this kind of attitude.

Didn't they recently also offer it free for a limited period, some weeks ago, to celebrate their 10th birthday/anniversary or similar (or, am I confusing it with something else)?

The last time I tried Opera it was a 12-13Mb download - now, it's just 3-4Mb. That's a lot of unnecessary lard done away with. Does this slimmer version load/run better/faster? G

GaT7 17:18 20 Sep 2005

Sorry, WhenHeavenTouchesEarth - I also meant to say thank you : )) G

PS - WhenHeavenTouchesEarth - can't wait for the day ; )

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 17:21 20 Sep 2005

That day is upon us! Some have experienced it, but I'm still learning.

Simsy 17:30 20 Sep 2005

You say, "The last time I tried Opera it was a 12-13Mb download - now, it's just 3-4Mb."

I haven't looked at the latest download version yet, but the previous ones were only a few Mb UNLESS you downloaded the version with an included Java installer when it was 13Mb or so...

I guess they now asssume everyone has java installed and don't include it...

I may be wrong of course!

Regards,

Simsy

GaT7 17:47 20 Sep 2005

Simsy, you may be right actually. The last Opera version I downloaded was 7.21 - a whopper at 12.6Mb. G

powerless 18:39 20 Sep 2005

No BT support?

Pesala 20:19 20 Sep 2005

click here

Not sure why this is not implemented in 8.50, presumably it still needs testing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?