Olympus Camedia C170 - owners beware!

Ron B 15:12 10 Sep 2006

I bought a, Camedia C-170 after PC Advisor's number 1 Budget Digital Camera recommendation last year as a second camera – point & shoot. All was fine until yesterday. I had not used the camera for a while, but thought that I would give it a whirl before going on holiday in two weeks time. I switched on and found what appeared to be a dark shadow on the LCD screen. Changing the xd card did not resolve the problem - so back to the suppliers (Jessops). The assistant had obviously seen the problem before and offered the following - not worth sending back as it would be £45 before they looked at the camera – even though it was still under warranty (the camera only cost around £80). The problem was, per the guy at Jessops, that the LCD screen had been pushed (‘even just a light push would cause the problem’) and this had destroyed the LCD readout! What really hack’s me off is that if this was an identified weakness – why did Olympus not either recall or issue further guidance i.e. don’t stick your thumb on the view screen! I have had several other digital cameras over the years, this has not been treated any different to the others – in this respect, I think there is an integral flaw in the Camedia design.

jimv7 15:41 10 Sep 2006

Try contacting olympus direct, you might get lucky.

Dizzy Bob 17:51 10 Sep 2006

Something else I have noticed with the C range of olympus cameras, is that they are not compatible with 'H' or 'M' XD cards.

As the majority of XD cards are now of this standard, to allow higher storage capabilities, this could be an issue going forwards.

I only found this out after doing a bit of digging when a customer was having a problem with a 1GB XD card they had bought.
click here

Odd i thought!!

DB

Dizzy Bob 17:52 10 Sep 2006

Sorry, post above should read *some* C Range olymus cameras.

See link in previous post for compatibility chart.

DB

Ron B 20:00 10 Sep 2006

Thanks jimv7

I will, but not holding my breath!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?