Old computer, new CD writer

vtrian 19:46 18 Feb 2003

I have an elderly computer - 166MHz Pentium, 48MB Ram, and I'd like to stick a CD writer in it. Will it cope? Some writers have minimum spec requirements, what happens if my PC can't meet them? Does it not work at all, or does it just go slower?

Can't find min spec req's for PC Advisor top recommended writers, by Asus - any knowledge? And why do some have lower requirements than others - CyberDrive one seems very low (about 8MB Ram) - a good buy?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hachi-Roku 23:47 18 Feb 2003

lol!! actually the cyberdrive cdrws need like a minimum of 32 mb, 200mhz cause i brought one last year, a 16x12x40x one and on the box it had that 8 mb minimum thing lol! i actually believe it was the minimum requirements for the cdrw itself so i brought it. but that was actually the requirements of the nero software that came with it! but luckily it still ran fine on my computer since back in the day, i used to have a pathetic 96mb ram, 233mhz pentium mmx lol! basically just dont have any other programs running at the same time when burning things otherwise it would cause things like buffer-underrun, which still i havent experienced yet and hope not to! so well thats my story lol!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?