An okay laptop for gaming?

Elfiene 22:43 09 May 2014

Hey everyone, I've been looking around on websites and that for a "gaming laptop" that is under £400 and I have been having difficulty finding one. To be very honest, I understand that at that price the chances of me finding one is very slim. However, I am not a hard-core gamer and so the laptop does not need to be amazing or anything. I'm just looking for something that can handle games like: tera rising, age of wushu, never winter, guild wars e.t.c Nothing too hardcore really.

Anyway, in my search I have found 2 latops one that is below my budget and one that is above. I would like to see your opinion on these 2 laptops, and whether or not they are good. P.s: please don't laugh my computer knowledge is very bad so umm yaaaa!

Laptop N.O 1 (£370 - below budget)

Asus X552EP Screen size - 15.6 in - 1366 x 768 pixels Processor - AMD A4 5000M - 1.5 GHz RAM - 8 GB Hard Drive - 1 TB Operating System - Windows 8 (64-Bit) Optical Drive - DVD Super-Multi Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 8670M Graphics Memory - 1 GB

Laptop N.O 2 (£440 - above budget / small chance I'll be able to afford it)

Lenovo G505s Screen size - 15.6 in - 1366 x 768 No Processor - AMD A10 A10-5750 - 2.4 GHz RAM - 6 GB Hard Drive - 1 TB Operating System - Windows 8.1 (64-Bit) Optical Drive - DVD Re-Writer Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 8570M Graphics Memory - 2 GB

TequilaSunrise 12:21 10 May 2014

I asked a similar question the other day with a budget of around £500 and havent had a response yet (possibly my fault for not being specific enough) so thought I'd share a few things I've learned while looking for mine.

These are some comparison charts you can look up the model of the gpu/cpu to see how they rank against each other. click here some graphics cards dont appear on that list (or only appear as a dual graphics test), so I found this other site that will give you models that compare to them in performance (which you will be able to look up and therefore get an idea where the actual gpu ranks), it should also tell you what kind of settings it should handle for what types of games: click here processor in the first one looks to be about half as good as the one in the second one. Graphics card in the first one looks to be about 33% better than the second.

Personally, I'd go with the second one. I didnt look up all system specs though so you may want to double check those.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

And The

TequilaSunrise 12:22 10 May 2014

Apologies, it hasnt taken the second link, possibly my fault for not separating them by a full stop of something (not sure).

heres the gpu comparison chart: click here

wee eddie 13:12 10 May 2014

I am no expert, but regularly scan reviews.

Generally, any laptop priced below £800.00, that sets itself up to be used for Games, is given bad reviews.

As a general rule, I think that you can be confidant that a £400.00 Lappy would be good for Office Work, Surfing the Net and watching Movies. There's nothing to stop you installing games on such a machine, but I get the impression that Play would be a very unsatisfactory experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?