Oh Brother - High Quality Printers or what?

_PhilS_ 21:39 31 Oct 2007

I purchased a Brother Laser multi-funtion printer (DCP 7010L) with one main thing in mind... 'image print density' since I wanted to print monochrome images on transparencies as photo-positives to be used in the production of print circuit boards.

This printer has a photo quality mode, can print on transparencies and pumps out 20ppm. Ideal methinks! Oh Brother I just couldn't wait. Novatech did a brill job from order to deliver over the weekend. So being easily set up I started to do test, after test, after test.

I conclude that whatever setting I choose to improve the toner density (or contrast) and image quality either using the printer's functions or the driver configuration software - all that is spat out is a rather grainy image. This is the case whether or not I waste transparencies or paper in my tests.

This printer has a high quality pixel density mode ((Max. 2400 x 600 dpi)) but the image that results is far grainier that what my old 300 dpi LaserWriter II gave me. OK it's fast at giving me what I don't want. Oh Brother - just what I needed to discover post purchase!

I know that HP (HP Q6611A) and Xerox (Xerox 3R12513) produce a glossy paper for laser printers. I enquired which glossy paper stock Brother recommends. Sadly, I had to educate the support guru at Brother about his claims that glossy paper is for inkjets... Oh Brother do these folks really support a business well?

The user manual is helpful in so much that there's little detail and the application help pages generally give just one line of text to describe a function.

Hunting around the web I also find that the Brother Laser line does not produce useful results if using photo-transfer films. So if you're thinking of buying a Brother laser model for monochrome artwork - think again would be my advice. Then buy anything but Brother

Ho hum! Oh Brother - is there something wrong with this printer or is it the entire range?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?