Ofcom - BBC DIGITAL LICENCE FEE

obbit 13:57 27 Jan 2005

click here

I don't have a TV so therefore have no need for a TV licence. Will we have to pay a fee to use our computers if they put TV content on the Internet?

The BBC already have a fair bit on the Internet so I was half expecting to read that there could be a fee charged. I hope there is an opt out choice I am not interested in TV especially on my pc.

€dstowe 14:11 27 Jan 2005

It will be some time before the Internet is fast enough to receive television of the quality expected even on the current broadcast systems.

Stuartli 15:28 27 Jan 2005

You would need a TV licence if, at any time, you fitted a TV card to your system; the same applies if you have/acquire a video or DVD recorder as they have a built-in TV tuner.

961 15:33 27 Jan 2005

Yes, but if you look at internet web pages of the bbc using real player or windows media player?

No tv card required

Equally available in Canada, Mozambique, Australia

Diemmess 16:11 27 Jan 2005

It is not a moral approach to say "I can't be found out," but if you are using BB to display TV programmes, then you are not generating a signal which can be detected by license sleuths. QED

obbit 12:20 28 Jan 2005

I did get a letter and a visit from them. But they have not pestered me since.

jack 08:33 29 Jan 2005

obbit
We wish you had not mentioned this topic, some day soon a 'hat' will knock on the door with clipboard to demand a fee for PC/Broadband connection and broadcastimage receiving

Forum Editor 13:25 29 Jan 2005

they can do so on some other forum - this is thread about TV via the Internet.

Rwstill 13:50 29 Jan 2005

Thanks Forum editor, that's what I wanted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?