OEM Software

Sic 11:09 23 Mar 2007

When i built my PC last year i installed an OEM copy of XP Media Centre. This week i upgraded the motherboard and processor and obviously did a full format and new install.

It verified online first time no questions asked, i was always led to believe that OEM copies were tied to the motherboard?

Not complaining!!

ventanas 11:32 23 Mar 2007

I last queried this with Microsoft about two years ago and I was somewhat confused by their response.

Apparently the license, according to the person I spoke to, is tied to the motherboard and the "chassis" whatever that is, he would not elaborate further. I took it to mean the case. But as that carries no information that could be included in activation I could be wrong. Hence my confusion.

keef66 14:46 23 Mar 2007

It seems to vary an awful lot. Some people replace just one component and find themselves phoning Microsoft, other replace several and it verifies without a hiccup.

I've only ever replaced HDD's and RAM; no problems there

spuds 17:25 23 Mar 2007

I have just replaced a hard-drive and processor, then re-installed the original OEM XP Home to the part new build computer. Connected to the internet and activation went smoothly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?