NTL - Hell

Gizmo 17:59 11 Dec 2003

My NTL-hell

Is any one else having problems using NTL: freedom? (We cant’ get broadband here)

I have been with NTL for over three years and have recommended them as I have had no problems and connected first time every time until Tuesday 9 December 2003, all I get is:

Access denied. Please check Username, password and registered phone number

I phoned NTL 3 times including there technical support (Well I mean some one in India, at 60p per minute) she gave me another number to try and nothing, NTL staff in the UK told me that Windows had corrupted my NTL: freedom dial in software, I now find that all my friends, which I recommended to NTL: freedom they are having the same problems!

So far today connected 4 times, but with 96 times trying

It look like NTL wants shot of the narrowband users, any one heard anything?

Not happy NTL’r

accord 18:20 11 Dec 2003

click here for up to date server status. this my well answer your question

Gizmo 18:25 11 Dec 2003

No, Been there, still nothing, no answers!

ray27 14:30 14 Dec 2003

I had a simular problem and got round it by reconfiguring everything from scratch and it worked fine and still is (fingers crossed )
Hope this is of some help

Gizmo 15:15 14 Dec 2003

Did that, but once the Dialler software downlads it's updates, nothing,I am using AOL just to get on, Tried to cancel, the operator assured me that this will be sorted out in 72 hours, still waiting, will cancel on Tuesday, will update if it changes.

georgemac 18:30 14 Dec 2003

the problem has steadily got worse for me since I installed the latest version of the dialler which changed the access number. Getting connected is very nearly impossible now.

I have emailed a complaint to NTL today, and will wait for their response before I decide to cancel, as up until now I have been pleased with the service. In fact the service is too cheap and they probably should increase the price if that is what is required to maintain the service.

Gizmo 19:09 14 Dec 2003

Don't hold your breath on a e-mail response, so far I have spent £7.08 on "support" or the lack off!!

David-235429 21:44 14 Dec 2003

Like Georgemac I had problems after installing the new dial up software in the summer. This resulted in frequent disconnections. Tried to cancel my "contract" with them but theres no e-mail address on their web site. Spent 20 mins on 2 occassions hanging on whilst trying to contact them be phone, in the end just cancelled my direct debit!
Changed to AOL dial up at £15.99 a month and not had a single disconnection since i joined over 2 months ago but now looking to move to Tiscalli broadband for the same amount per month

georgemac 08:01 15 Dec 2003

I contacted them through email by filling in an online support form click here

Thank you for taking the time to submit your complaint to ntl:home.

ntl: aims to provide and maintain a high level of service at all times, in doing so treats every customer concern seriously.

Your complaint has been registered under ref *******.

Once we have investigated your issue, we will contact you in order to gain a resolution and bring the matter to a close.

I would not take the step of just canvelling the direct debit, as I assume I would still be legally contracted to NTL and be due them the £15 per month.

Telephone number for account queries, and I guess this would do to cancel

Alternatively you can call us on 087 0445 0445. (Please note we can only answer account and billing enquiries on this number. For all technical support queries use the number given below.)

Unfortunately, our telephone exchange is not broadband enabled or I too would sign up for the tiscalli broadband either 150K for £15.99 or 250K for £20 I think it was per month.

The town nearest our village has just got broadband after reaching I think 100 interested parties. I checked the BT site, for our village, population circs 1000, we need interest from 300 parties so no broadband for me unless I move house!

Gizmo 18:03 16 Dec 2003

The saga still continues, with a few more dial ups connecting, contacted NTL to cancel for the second time, but assurances were given to sort this problem out, I gave them till Thursday AM, but still not holding my breath.

Oh a NTL disc has just come thought the post today, B****** Cheek!

Will post the outcome on Tuesday, that’s if I can get online

Gizmo 18:03 16 Dec 2003

The saga still continues, with a few more dial ups connecting, contacted NTL to cancel for the second time, but assurances were given to sort this problem out, I gave them till Thursday AM, but still not holding my breath.

Oh a NTL disc has just come thought the post today, B****** Cheek!

Will post the outcome on Tuesday, that’s if I can get online

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie